Chapter 38

Newborns have the sense of smell already developed so they can identify their parents scent, for animals this characteristic is important to identify their surroundings when they get lost.

For humans, this is a way to ease the babies when their parents are around and in some way since human brains are more developed by evolution, we can recall on memories to help us create a clear image on what we're looking for.

In a horrifying place as it was to be in the mountains at night, the sense of smell was something they had to hold on tight along with their equipment and flashlights so they couldn't get lost because of mother nature.

Tall trees blocking the moonlight made it look like a horror movie scene, the weather was the worst and for it being at night, the insects were really loud and they could be heard walking over the trunks.

"My hair is going to get frizzy.." complained Utahime taking her hair in a ponytail avoiding the mosquitos.

The humidity in the place was noticeable, rainy days on September being the worst for people with delicate hair.

It was getting darker and the path was barely visible with the help of flashlights, the ground was muddy and they had to be careful in order not to fall, multitasking and trying to find a cursed spirit.

In Y/N's mind she remembered those days staying at the Inumaki's and Toge begging her to stay in the room with him everytime he played Silent Hill, specially when his character had to walk in the woods.

Great..

"I really don't understand why someone would come here by their own will" said Utahime removing a few leaves off her hair "This place could be scary to anyone".

It was cold, dark and the air felt like vanishing the more they walked into the third mountain as if the place lacked of oxygen, anyone could feel the strong presence in the distance and yet there were people willing to go just to prove their strength and their bravery.

But that didn't scared the three shamans who were approaching more and more.

There was an odd feeling but taking into account they were in the wild, they had no walls or halls to help them pinpoint the source of the cursed energy, it felt everywhere and that was unsettling for the three of them as a surprise attack could happen at anytime.

Clearly, the source was strong enough to fool them and make them feel that they were everywhere yet nowhere to be seen, the anxiety levels going up to the roof and warning them to be cautious.

Brains sending alarms to their bodies, hoping for the worst to happen at every second with each step they took.

But there's something else that happens when a person wanders around an unknown place in the dark; it's true, the body gets more aware to their surroundings but sometimes it takes time for it to adjust to the environment and that could be deadly.

Todo was the first one to notice.

Or at least, that's what he thought.

"We passed that tree five minutes ago" he spoke staring at the sky just to feel like he was in the right place.

They took a look to the trees and to be honest they all looked the same, but Todo had been staring at them for so long that he managed to memorize the shape of the leaves, which ones had holes, a slight tint of yellow, their shapes, how they were connected to the branches.

He left no opening to the doubt, he clearly knew that certain tree, those leaves, the roots that could be seen over the ground; he knew that tree perfectly as if it was his own hand.