5. War

It took you a while to finish your yogurt.  You kept getting lost in thought between bites and you would set it to the side to ponder something.  You supposed that’s what happens when you are surrounded by stars.  It was a thoughtful environment.  When you did eventually finish your yogurt, you left the room, giving Cloud a smile on your way out before you realized he was lost in thought again.  Oh, well. 

                Out in the main seating area, it was quiet and empty.  That’s strange.  You knew the ship was on autopilot, but you figured someone would continue to watch it as it flew.  Apparently Cid is confident enough in his system that he doesn’t need to babysit it.  You walked up to the control panels and stood behind the chair at the center, looking out at the stars as you flew through them.  There were lights on the control panel flashing every now and then, but you were sure they had been flashing while you sat there and Cid had instructed you on them, so you didn’t worry about them.  After a moment, you turned and decided to climb the stairs to the cabins.  You were curious what the others were doing.

                 The hallway was quiet.  Most of the doors were shut, but one towards the end of the hallway, close to yours, was open.  You could see flashes of light coming from it, and walked towards it cautiously.  When you stood in front of the open door, you saw Sora sitting on his bed, right hand out.  There was a small, short glow from his hand, and then his keyblade appeared.  He looked over it once.  After a moment it disappeared in the same glow it had appeared from.

                You figured it was time to make your presence in his doorway known, so you lightly knocked on the frame.  He looked up with wide eyes and his right hand fell to his side.  His surprised expression quickly turned into a light smile when he recognized you.  “Hey, [Name].”

                 “Hey, Sora,” you greeted before walking in and taking a seat next to him on the bed.  “What are you doing?”

                 “I don’t know,” Sora’s smile turned sheepish.  “Just trying to figure out how this works, I guess.”

                 You nodded understandingly, then held your right hand out and summoned your keyblade.  There was the same glow you saw from Sora’s hand and then your keyblade appeared.  It was almost entirely the same as his, except where his had a blue ring near the handle yours had a red ring, and the handle was a little bit thinner to accommodate your smaller hands.  “Do you think-” you stopped, wondering how to ask the question that had just popped into your head.  “Do you think someone else can hold a person’s keyblade?”

                 Sora’s head cocked to the side slightly and he answered, “I don’t know.  We could try.”

                You made your keyblade disappear and then slowly reached out for the one in Sora’s hand.  You held it just below where he was holding it, and he let go of it.  You brought it in front of you and turned it over, inspecting it.  It wasn’t disappearing.  It felt the same weight as yours and was comfortable in your hand.  The handle was slightly bigger, but you were somewhat used to that considering you had shared all of your wooden swords with the boys when you were younger.  “I wonder if someone that doesn’t wield a keyblade can hold it,” you said next.

                 Sora shrugged next to you.  Footsteps could be heard down the hall and Sora turned to look at his open doorway.  The keyblade in your hand glowed and then your hand fisted around nothing.  You turned to look, too, and saw Leon walk by.

                  Sora sighed and fell back onto his bed. “There’s nothing to do on this ship.

                “I think it’s almost dinner time,” you said thoughtfully.  “That’ll be something to do.”