48. A Not Tall Tale

Back on the ship you greeted Kairi with a hug as everyone filed in. Sora started telling her all about the area, climbing columns, and fighting Heartless dragons. You laughed at his dramatics as Kairi listened with a laugh here and there. Then you caught Cloud rolling his shoulder out of the corner of your eye.

You walked over to him. "Hey, let me help you with that."

He turned at the sound of your voice. "Oh, sure," the corner of his mouth lifted. "That would be great. Oh-" He stopped as he took you in, "as long as you aren't too worn out already."

You rolled your eyes. "The battle's over, all the magic I've got left is just extra."

"What if we have to fight again?" Cloud lifted an eyebrow.

"I'll chug an ether, don't worry about it," you waved a hand between the two of you flippantly. "Alright, where does it hurt?"

"The back of my shoulder," he told you.

"Okay, let's take our winter gear off and then I'll walk over to your room," you told him before making for the ladder up to the rooms.

"...Sure," he answered sheepishly before following.

Cloud was sitting on his bed fiddling his thumbs when you found him in his room. His jacket hung from his desk chair and he had on his usual sleeveless turtleneck. He looked up as you entered the doorway.

"Much better," you said, moving across the room and sitting next to him on the side that was bothering him. "It's always easier when I can see what I'm healing."

"Right," Cloud nodded.

You raised your hand, then paused. "Sorry if my hands are cold." You pressed your hand to the back of his shoulder and felt him tense. Smiling nervously, you cast a cura spell. Your hand glowed and you felt his shoulder relax as he let out a sigh. "Better?" you asked, pulling your hand back.

"Yeah," he told you and then looked at his hands. "It feels so nice- to be healed." You thought you saw his cheeks grow slightly pink as he spoke. "What does it feel like when you cast the spell?"

You thought for a moment. "I don't know, like warm sunshine and fresh air. Similar to how it feels on the other end."

He nodded appreciatively. "It must be nice to be able to do that for someone. You and Sora are lucky."

"Donald can do it, too, but Sora always complains about his timing," you laughed lightly. "I think we're more lucky that we were found by all of you."

Cloud grinned and nodded. "Yeah, we're all lucky for that." He was quiet for a moment and the grin fell before he asked, "Have I told you about my time before Hades?"

"No," you said, turning so that one of your legs was folded onto the bed and you were facing him. I didn't think there was anything before Hades.

"Well, I wasn't so lucky when he found me, but he found me because I was running from someone else."

You didn't know who he was, but you listened quietly, aware of how difficult this must be to talk about.

"I know eventually that person will find me again. And this guy, he's..." Cloud trailed off, at a loss for the right words.

"...the worst?" you offered after a moment.

Cloud's mouth picked up in a small grin as he chuckled lightly. "Yeah, the worst. He's basically the source of all the darkness in me," Cloud shook his head. "This all sounds so stupid, but I thought you should know, for when he shows up. ...I just hope when he does find me he leaves the rest of you alone."