49. Never Have I Ever

When you landed in Hollow Bastion you discovered there were more Heartless and Nobodies around town than when you'd left. You would hate to think how much worse it would be without the town's security system. Kairi followed closely behind as the group cut through any little monsters you encountered. After you all made it to the house you showed Kairi to a spare room and helped her settle in. Your friends dropped their stuff and immediately got to work. You and Sora weren't far behind as you took Kairi out to show her around.

The two of you handled any Heartless or Nobodies that showed up before Kairi had a chance to worry. You walked around the market street and stopped at Scrooge's ice cream shop. Sora bought the three of you sea salt ice cream before you moved on. You caught his cheeks flush as he handed one to Kairi and their hands touched.

"What?" Kairi asked you.

You realized you had actually rolled your eyes and immediately felt embarrassed. "Nothing, just... 'same-old-same-old' sea salt ice cream, even with all the flavors Scrooge McDuck comes up with?"

"Oh," Kairi looked down at the cone in her hand. "That's okay, it's a classic."

"Right!" Sora agreed, smirking at you. "If you wanted duck tracks you should've said something before I went to the counter."

"Yeah, yeah," you relented, letting the two of them walk in front of you as you rounded a corner towards Merlin's. As Sora pointed the building out and explained that he had taught both of you how to properly use your magic you found Cloud leaning against a wall next to the building.

"Hey, Cloud," Sora greeted.

Cloud picked his head up and looked at the three of you. "Oh. Hey."

You raised an eyebrow. Remembering that Leon had sent Yuffie and Cloud with Cid to work on Merlin's computer, you asked, "Is Yuffie bothering you so much you had to get out again?"

He shook his head.

"Uh, is the work on the computer not going well?" Sora asked.

"No," Cloud told him. "They're doing fine."

Sora looked at you sheepishly, quietly communicating that he didn't know what to say. A small smile formed on your lips at his nervousness and you looked back at the blond, asking directly, "What is it, Cloud?"

"I think I saw someone."

"Who?" Sora asked.

"Someone from my past."

Your eyebrows rose. Cloud's eyes connected with yours and he gave a small nod. You glanced at Kairi and Sora before turning back to him to ask, "What does he look like?" and looking around.

"[Name]."

You looked at Cloud.

"He's not here right now, but I think I saw him in town. Silver hair, carries a long sword. His name is Sephiroth. If you see him you should come find me." He took a step forward and looked pointedly at Sora and then you. "Be careful. He messes with your head- makes you think darkness is the only way."

"We'll be careful," you told him sincerely, putting a hand on each of your friend's shoulders.

"Oh, hello," Aerith stepped out of Merlin's house and walked over with a smile. "It's nice to see you again. And who's this?"

Cloud leaned back against the wall again.

"This is Kairi," you introduced. "Kairi, this is Aerith."

"Nice to meet you," Kairi waved at her.