Her

Reminder

My fork dug into the slice of peach pie on my China plate in front of me as I slowly brought the silver utensil towards my mouth, slipping the sweet pie between my lips as the awkward conversation continued

"I'm actually hoping maybe you have some vacancies down at sunnyside. See, I've been sleeping at my office down at the paper. And uh, it's just getting a little chilly at night."

Mom rolled her eyes at the way dad was approaching the situation with company, leaving out the part that she kicked him out for the safely and well being of her eldest daughter.

"Hey I bet your office beats the trailer park." FP laughed, trying to break the tension as Jughead and I refused to look up from out plates, afraid to meet an adults gaze.

"Oh, ha, ha, I wouldn't be so sure." Dad joked, clearly not letting up at the fact that he had a roof over his head that wasn't suitable for his higher class mentality. "You see, alice her, she's been redecorating the register. Dad continued to raise his voice. Yeah, the other day she threw a brick through the window."

"Is that so?" FP asked with a chuckle. I looked up from the table to see Jughead already starring at me, a small smiled on his face.

"Keep talking Hal and the next brick I throw may not be at a window." Mom threatened, slowly sipping her red wine. Red the like color of blood that seeps through my father I bet she would pray to see spewing out of him at this very moment.

"You remember our homecoming, Alice?" FP asked, breaking the moment of silence and glares that had overcome. "Hal? Back in the day? Castles in the clouds? Your mom ever tell you about that night?" FP continued to question, his attention now on me.

"Just that she and dad were king and queen." I answered, smiling at Jughead.

"Yeah, they were. Of hell."

"Dad please." Jughead pleaded, his smiled disappearing.

"No, it's a fun story, I promise." FP insisted. "Fred and me we were all set to play at the dance. I was backstage dropping off our gear when I heard these voices yelling. It was your mom and dad." FP paused to once again direct his fiery gaze towards me. "They were fighting about.......FP stopped, letting curiosity and confusion overwhelm Jughead and I. About I don't know what, but it sounded like life-or-death."!

"Shut up, FP." Mom snapped, he voice seeping with rage as he cold gaze burned a hole in the side of FP scull.

"Happy to oblige if you are." FP said, clearly knowing something he wasn't going to let up. "I don't care what you think of me, Alice. But don't jerk me around. Not in front of my son."

"Exactly. That's why we're leaving. Now." I began, standing up from my seat. I looked down at my mother. "I told you, you weren't gonna treat FP or Jughead like lesser people at this dinner and you did just that. So we're going, I'll think about coming home tonight."

~~~~

"You be a gentleman tonight, okay?" FP demanded as Jughead opened the truck door. I hopped out, holding the bottom my dress making sure it didn't ride up.

"He always is, Mr. Jones." I smiled as Jughead held my forearm, rubbing it Comfortably. I opened our umbrella, holding it above the two of us.

"You mind giving us just a minute?" Jughead asked, looking between his father and I.

"Absolutely." I said, kissing him on the cheek. A light blush spread across his cheeks as I made my way up the stairs, waiting for him. 

JUGHEADS POV

"What's up?" Dad asked, giving me the side eye.

"Look, I've been thinking....I mean, if it's alright with you....I could come back. I could come back home." I hesitated, feeling my heart rate increase. I loved living with Archie....but after he asked y/n out I know damn well they'll get together....and I just can't be there for that.

"I'll do you one better...." he began. "It's time the whole family gets back together. Us, your mom, jellybean. They got a sweet setup in Taledo. There's decent work~"

I cut him off, feeling confused and worry overcome every emotion I had.

"Toledo?" I asked, glancing out of the window at y/n shivering in the cold. "Why not riverdale?"

"'Cause of dinners like we just had and what you're writing about in your book. You know what happens to people like is in riverdale, jug. We get chewed up. I know you'll miss the girl but~"

"No dad. I won't miss her. I'll die for her. I'll kill for her. I'll sacrifice everything for her. Not that girl....her. She's my everything dad." I rushed, feeling my heart swell at the way I felt for her.

"I get that. But what your family Jughead. Your mom, jellybean." He insisted.

"She's the only person who hasn't left me. Mom left and took jellybean. Archie and Betty left. You left. But she stayed. No matter what I did she always stayed. Alway."!I sighed.

"Listen....you don't need to make a decision right now but I think it'll be the best for our family...alright."

I gulped the lump in my throat away, looking out the window at her. Her, my life, my love, my everything. The thought of leaving the beautiful person who was my best friend devastated me....but so did the thought of her being with someone else. She my girl. And I couldn't leave my girl. I couldn't leave like Archie did. I can't leave like everyone always does. But it might be my only choice. The last hope for my family.