Irrational Mysteries

Mic slouched on the bar stool, idly swirling ice cubes in his water glass. He wore civilian clothes, jeans and a green jacket, his hair pulled back in a casual bun. The sounds of people chatting and drinking created an atmosphere that felt familiar to him. He wasn't here to drink, or to socialize. Just to think, without the deafening silence of being alone.

Two days, and he still hadn't heard anything from Shota. His eye had turned a deep shade of purple. He continued to push away the cameras when reporters asked for him to give the scoop on what happened. What had happened?

Mic gritted his teeth in frustration. He'd watched as a villain walked away with their hand on your small shoulder, unable to do anything since he'd let himself get mind controlled. That's what happened.

He kneaded his palm into his forehead. Why was it always like this? It had been the same way eight years ago... He hadn't been there to help Aizawa fight when they lost Shirakumo... a fact that he would never be able to erase. And now, thanks to him, Aizawa had almost lost Eiko. Mic's depressed eyes stared down at the countertop. Despite all his effort, he was never there for Shota when it counted most.

Mic didn't bother keeping track of time as he slouched on the bar counter.

The stool next to him screeched softly against the floor as someone pulled it out and sat.

He looked up without enthusiasm. Shota, glowering at him through his dark hair. That was unexpected.

"How is she?" Mic couldn't meet Aizawa's eyes.

"Alright. She's tired of people telling her to rest."

Mic smiled painfully.

"She sounds like you."

Aizawa glowered.

"Irrelevant."

The awkward silence became unbearable to Mic, and he suddenly exploded.

"Okay, let me have it. I know you're mad. Don't just... say nothing. I can't handle this."

Aizawa only gave him an annoyed look.

"I only found you because Eiko wanted me to apologize for punching you."

Mic stared.

"What!? You're kidding."

"No, I'm not." Aizawa looked irritated. "To be clear, I'm not apologizing, but I did tell her that I'd at least talk to you."

"Good." Mic slouched. "I don't think I could stand you apologizing right now."

Aizawa observed Mic's depressed state, then sighed in annoyance.

"Mic, I already got the report from Tsukauchi, so I know everything that happened. It wasn't your fault. It was mine. They outplanned me, and that's unnacceptable." Aizawa glared into space.

Mic finally looked directly at him, astonished. He leaned back, looking up at the ceiling speculatively.

"So you're not mad..." he murmured, still looking depressed.

Aizawa glare focused back onto Mic.

"Oh, you think I'm not mad? You brought an eight year old to a rave! What were you thinking Mic?? Even under normal circumstances that's poor judgement. Factor in Eiko's PTSD and it's the height of irrationality."

Somehow, Aizawa yelling at him made Mic feel better. He could handle this a lot better than he could handle Aizawa's wordless anger. And infinitely better than he could handle his own accusatory thoughts.