Irrationally Growing Up

Cicadas buzzed, crickets added a soft chorus of chirps, the sunlight streamed through treetops. Despite the peaceful vibe of the rooftop, Shinsou continued frowning.

"What do you think they're talking about down there?"

You shrugged indifferently. It wasn't that you didn't have any curiousity, it was just that you were so happy to see Shinsou again. Theorizing could wait, right? But Shinsou continued to frown into the distance.

You waved a hand in front of his face. He swatted it away irritably. A spark of mischief brightened in your amber eyes.

"Hi-to-shi"

Shinsou started as though drenched in ice water. He spun around, fixing you with a flat stare.

You stifled your laughter, satisfied with the reaction that had gotten. He'd called you Eiko from the start, but this was the first time you'd called him by his first name.

Shinsou observed you trying to hide your laughter, a dry smile tugging at his mouth. "You're weird, Eiko."

"Thanks" you accepted the compliment proudly.

He shook his head, still trying, and failing, to maintain his scowl. His eyes softened on you.

"Eiko, I've been thinking while you were in the hospital."

You looked up, startled by his change of tone. His purple irises bored into you.

"You never talk about yourself. You always turn the conversation to me." His mouth twisted, and he muttered, almost to himself "and somehow, I never noticed." His gaze snapped back to you. "So... I'm listening. You can talk."

You stared at Shinsou, then looked down nervously. He waited.

He was right. He was your friend. And he didn't know. You took a deep breath, then let it out slowly. Shinsou's eyes never left you.

"I, ah" you tried again "Thing is... my old life isn't worth talking about."

Shinsou leaned in, concern fueling his intensity.

"Your old life?"

You broke away from his gaze.

"Yeah. .. Before Aizawa rescued me. Before he adopted me."

You risked a glance at Shinsou's utterly surprised expression, and smiled weakly.

"You didn't know I'm adopted?"

Shinsou flushed. "I mean, you kinda look alike..." he cocked his head. "On second thought, I guess it's just the hair. But, wow."

He ran a hand through his own hair, then looked at you. "Yeah, I didn't expect that." He suddenly looked troubled.

"He rescued you? ... But..." His voice softened. "He couldn't save your parents?"

"No, it's not like that!" you exclaimed. "I never knew my parents."

Shinsou looked confused. You grimaced.

"I didn't lose anyone. In fact, before I met Aizawa, I didn't even have anyone... before that I was..."

Your eyes misted over.

You tried again "I was..."

Your breathing started coming faster as flashes of your past clouded your vision. Shame. Blurs of superspeed. Pain.

Shinsou's eyes widened in alarm as he realized you were starting to have a panic attack.

"Eiko" he grabbed your shoulders, the pressure bringing you back to the present "Eiko, it's okay, you don't have to talk about it." he continued desperately as recognition slowly returned to your eyes. His mind whirled for ideas of how to keep your attention on the present moment, and he ran a few feet to unfasten a tarp. "Here," he struggled with the ties "this was going to be a surprise for later, but look what I've been working on!" He dragged the tarp aside.