Irrational Symbol of Peace

chapter art by G Mark

...

You'd been worried that Aizawa wouldn't tell you what Nighteye had seen.

But it was worse than that.

He did tell you Nighteye's predictions. And he believed them.

"How could you think that I'd ever join the villains?"

Aizawa stared at you tiredly.

"The circumstances of the future may be more complicated than you realize, Eiko. I don't know what could drive you to switch sides, but Nighteye's visions have never been wrong."

"What if he was lying?!"

"That's irrational. He's not ready to throw away his perfect record of predicting the future over a single lie. Additionally, clearing your name was in his personal interests. He was very irritated when that turned out to be impossible."

"Dad, I would NEVER join the villains! Don't you trust me?"

Your heart ached, and anger was the only emotion that seemed to numb it. Dad had always been your most constant supporter, your hero. Didn't he know you better than this??

Aizawa sighed.

"Regardless of how you currently feel, we need to assume that there is a possibility of the villains finding a way to change your mind. I'm telling you this so you understand the precautions we're taking. We need to limit how much information you have on UA plans and hero operations."

He fixed you with a stern glare.

"You need to accept that you can't come with me to meetings anymore. Nor will I answer your endless questions. Not until this gets sorted out."

It hurt. You protested, you argued until you ran out of breath, until your throat felt like it was closing up, until your eyes stung from the tears that you were holding in. But Aizawa remained firm.

You finally left the house to cool your head, jogging through the alleyways in the late afternoon sun

You finally left the house to cool your head, jogging through the alleyways in the late afternoon sun. You almost stepped on a snail but you managed to dodge just in time. You stopped, panting, and lifted it carefully by its shell, setting it down in the shade where people wouldn't step on it.

After a minute, the snail poked back out of its shell to explore the shady leaves that it had been placed in.

If you couldn't even hurt a snail... how could anyone possibly think you would become a villain who hurt people?

Was it possible? You didn't think so. You knew yourself. Right?

How much could people change? And how fast?

No. You weren't even going to consider it.

There was NO WAY you would work with the villains.