Chapter Nine

On the way back to the house, Evan took a hold of my hand and brought me over to different areas to look at.

Duke kept walking, preoccupied with the thoughts of knowing he was going to have to explain everything about his world.

He knew there was a chance he could lose her if she chose to leave and go back to her city, or worse one of the others could try to win her affection.

Evan and I walked into the house, "I'm going to go change" I said as I walked up the stairs. Once in my room I shut the door.

I changed into a dark red nightgown this time. I felt so elegant in this one. It went to my ankles, but it was loose and free flowing. The sleeves were barely there, and it had a soft plunging neckline.

I made sure it was not see-through before I opened the balcony doors.

Walking out onto the balcony I looked to the water, the moonlight was dancing on the surface. So smooth and peaceful.

Everything was replaying in my mind from today and tonight. That strange woman Lilith and her comment had me puzzled.

Lost in thought I did not hear a knock at my door, but I felt him before he was behind me, wrapping his massive arms around my body.

Leaning into Duke's chest, my back could feel his muscles and the heat he radiated.

"I see this has become your favorite spot" he said as his chest vibrated with his words against my back.

"I cannot help it; I love it out here. Being able to see everything and how peaceful it looks" I said, closing my eyes.

We stood there for a few minutes, not saying anything but enjoying each other's company.

"We do need to talk about today and tonight though" Duke said quietly as if he were afraid the spell was going to break, and I would be gone.

I turned in his arms and looked up at him, "you know Duke, you can tell me what is going on, I won't run away, how could I?" I asked

"You may not like what I have to say, pack your things and go back to your city" he said looking down at me. I could see sadness behind his eyes.

He truly was afraid I would leave him; I raised my hand to his face and traced his jawline.

"Duke, I don't think there could be anything that would make me leave this place or you" I said.

"Let us hope that is true my dear, let us go out to the gazebo" he said as he took my hand in his.

I followed him out there, as we sat down, he turned to look at me, the moonlight illuminating all the roses. The breeze was gently blowing around us.