Chapter Seventeen

"I need to go down to the water and spend some time there" I said as I was putting on my swimsuit.

"Just be careful, the merfolk know about you know and they can be tricky sometimes" Duke said as he laid on the bed watching me.

"I will, besides aren't you going to join me?" I asked, turning around looking at him.

"Not today love, I have a few things I need to take care of, but Evan said he would go with you."

"This is going to be interesting," I said with a laugh.

Evan refuses to get into the water, saying it is not natural to want to get into something that can kill you.

"Just toss him a floaty, he will be fine" Duke said laughing as he got up from the bed. He walked over and wrapped his arms around me, pulling my back into his chest.

"One of these days we are going to be mated and I can't wait," he said as he kissed my neck.

"Tell me again why I have to find two mates before we can get married?"

"I don't know why, just that is how it has always been, my mother couldn't mate my father until she found Evan's father" he said, holding me tightly against him.

"Hopefully, it will be with someone that you can tolerate," I said with a wink.

Leaning back against Duke, looking at us in the mirror filled my heart with a warm feeling. We just fit together.

"Ready my dear for a day of sun and fun" Evan said as he waltzed into the bedroom. I had to laugh, he had on Bermuda shorts, tank top that said water equals death.

"Only you Evan" I said, shaking my head with a smirk.

"You are not seriously wearing that shirt to the beach?" Duke asked.

"Yes I am, if I have to go and babysit this one then I am wearing this shirt" Evan said sticking his tongue out at me.

"That's fine doesn't bother me one bit" I said, sticking my tongue out right back at him.

"Just go, both of you" Duke said with a sigh, but he was chuckling.

Evan put his arm out and I wrapped mine around his. We walked to the beach and once there, Evan found an umbrella to sit under.

I took off my clothes and started to head to the water.

"My brother is a lucky man" Evan said, I turned my head and laughed.

"I know right, you should remind him more of that" I said with a wink.

Evan busted out laughing, shaking his head. Being around Evan was always entertaining, he knew how to make you feel good.

Too bad I was not able to have him as a mate as well, the three of us living together would be nice, but the fates like to mix things up, I guess.

Once my feet were in the water, a peacefulness came over me. I sighed in contentment. I walked out until the ground gave way.

I swam for a bit, then floated, looking up at the sky, how bright blue with a few fluffy clouds were sitting there. It always amazed me how clouds could just be there.

Something passed underneath me, I righted myself in the water, treading the water, seeing if I could see anything.

Suddenly I was splashed from behind. I laughed; I knew what it was. I turned around and there was the dolphin.

"See I told you I would be back" I said as I put my hand out and he nudged it with his nose. I ran my hand along his body.

I grabbed his dorsal fin and off we went, under the water and back up. I let go as we were still swimming around for a bit.