Chapter Twelve

"We have a problem," Evan said as he flung open the bedroom door.

"Glad I was wide awake" I mumbled as I pulled the covers over my head. Duke sat up and looked at his brother.

"What is the problem now?" Duke asked as he leaned back against the headboard.

"Word has gotten out about Jasmine, there is a list longer than my arm of requests for an audience with her" Evan said sitting down on the bed.

I groaned, guessing sleeping in was out of the question since Evan was not going anywhere anytime soon.

I peeked my face out from under the covers, "why do they want that with me?"

"Because my dear girl, you are the last royal heir, do you know how many want to win your favor? So, you will choose them to be mated to?"

"What if I do not want to be mated with anyone but Duke? What then?" I asked sitting up.

"I'm not sure, that is why I sent for the seer to help answer questions since she knows more about all of this than us."

"When is the seer showing up?" Duke asked, getting out of bed, walking over to open the doors to the balcony.

"She will be here within the hour," Evan said, stretching out on the bed.

I sat there looking at him.

"What?"

"I would like to shower and dress if you don't mind"

"I don't mind at all" Evan said with a wink but moved off the bed and out the door before Duke could throw him out.

"Duke, this is all confusing" I said laying back on the bed.

"I know sweetheart, but we will get this all sorted out" he said as he climbed on top of me.

Two hours later, I was showered and dressed, sitting at the kitchen table eating my breakfast

"It's about time you are here" Evans said as he walked into the kitchen with Lilith right beside him.

"Hush Evan, Jasmine was busy with more important things" she said as she smiled at me. She walked over and sat next to me.

"We are going to have to talk, there are a few things that even I don't know, and would love to find somethings out that you might be able to help fill in the gaps" she said as Duke brought her a cup of tea.

Duke sat next to me, resting his one hand on my leg as he sat there drinking his cup of coffee.

"I don't know how much help I can be, but I will give it my best and hopefully it helps you" I said, pushing my bowl away.

"First things first though, I want you to know Jasmine with all these requests, unfortunately you do have to meet with them, each one is from a royal family just like Duke and Evan are" she said.

"I understand and thank you for letting me know, I don't want to misstep and hurt someone by not knowing the rules" I said in all honesty.

"I know child, which is why I am here. I will help you learn the ropes as we go and hopefully, we can avoid a war at the same time" she said and smiled but the smile did not reach her eyes.

She was not telling me everything, but I hoped eventually she would.

"How many royal families are there?"

Lilith sat there quiet for a moment, "there are at least eight that I know of right now" she said.

"Eight, that's not so bad" I said as I thought about it, it cannot be that bad, could it?

"Jasmine, what you're not understanding is these aren't normal human males, these are vampires, werewolves, Fae, elves, Minitours, mermen, dragons" Evan said

"You only listed seven, what about the eighth?" I asked

"No, absolutely not," Duke said standing up.