TWENTY EIGHT

Alexandra was frozen in ultimate shock. She managed to blink her widely open eyes, and pushed Stefan away. She knew her shove wasn't all that strong, that she didn't stand a chance if Stefan had put a fight against her. Therefore, she was happy with the couple of steps he took away from her.

"Have you lost your mind?" She fired her question with a disbelieving tone. Although she should be angry, Alexandra couldn't find it in herself to be. Something about the way he looked at her, the way his eyes held this deep sadness stopped her from being angry.

"Tell me you didn't feel anything at that moment, Alex." Stefan said with anguished voice. "Tell me I didn't move even the slightest bit of your heart!"
He couldn't believe that she had feelings for Klaus, but not him. He was beginning to feel cursed, to forever love women who would only leave him for other men. He was cursed to love and love too hard, only for his love to not be reciprocated.

It was just this one kiss, for a moment, it felt like it was all he needed to calm the hurricane in his chest. It dulled that endless ache in his heart. He knew it was selfish, but he still had the slightest if hope that she would consider him.

Last night gave him more hope, at least before Klaus'arrival. She let him in her house, talked to him like a friend would. She talked to him like she trusted him. They laughed, she made him laugh. And he couldn't remember the last time someone did that for him. He couldn't recall the last time he found it I'm himself to actually laugh.

"Gosh! Stefan, the only thing I felt was shock. Why would you do that? What made you think that kissing me is a great idea?" Alexandra shook her head. Despite being at sixes and sevens with the whole situation, she still felt bad for him. She couldn't help the small part that sympathized with him. She had never been at the receiving end of that kind of attention; even if she was, she wouldn't have known. So, it's fair to say that she was at loss.

"Because I'm desperate! I'm fucking desperate, Alexandra. It was fine before. I was okay just watching you from afar." The anger in his tone dissipated; Alexandra didn't remember ever hearing him curse. She then wondered if he had ever used her given name. "I think I didn't think you'd be with anyone. For the past couple of years I didn't see you take interest in anyone, so why him?"

How could he ever explain to her that he'd always kept an eye on her? He didn't think it would bid well if she knew that he was always close by, watching in silence. Even when he was over his head with the problems that came with being with Elena, he found the time to compel a couple of guys who took interest in her. Yes, he made her forget. And yes, he never made a move to be with her. And yes, he loved Elena. But he didn't want her to be with anyone else.

"Are you serious? Listen to yourself! Stefan, this is insane!" She exclaimed loudly. She was still not angry, flabbergasted and maybe slightly hurt, but not angry. She just didn't fathom how he, a vampire who had been roaming the earth for over a century, could think like that.

"But Alex, do you still not get it? I am insane!" He yelled and his clenched fists punched the desk next to him breaking it in two. It made Alexandra flinch and take a couple of steps back until she felt the coldness seeping from the wall behind her to her skin. "I still remember you standing in that short yellow dress..." Stefan had a far away look as he recalled another memory of theirs.

They were by the falls, watching the sunset together. Well, Alexandra was watching the sunset, but his eyes were only on her. She wore a beautiful dress, that barely reached her knees. It was yellow, a color he never saw on her. "It's such a beautiful sight." She whispered softly into the air.

"It is." He confirmed.

She turned to him with furrowed eyebrows, then her smile turned into a playful one. "This is so cliche, Mr. Salvatore." She chuckled while shaking her head, "But thank you."

Stefan gave a shirt laugh, "I don't remember feeling that peaceful in a very long time." She could see sincerity shining in his eyes, "Thank you."

At that moment Stefan felt his heart skipping a beat when she smiled at him. She looked like an angel, and for a passing second he wanted to kiss her.

"That's what friends are for, right?" She told him with a tilt of her head.

"You need to remember! I have to show you what we had." Stefan said with desperation in his tone once he came back from that particular memory.

She was watching him advancing towards her and her instinct just told her to run. She wanted to run as far away as possible. And for the first time in a while she was afraid of Stefan. Again. She stuck to the wall, trying to merge get body with it, hoping to disappear into it somehow. "Don't come any closer, if you want me to remember, if you really care about me then don't take a step closer." She ordered him with a wavering voice. It was the strongest she could manage at that point.

She swallowed back the lump in her throat and contained the burn of tears in her eyes which already made her vision quite blurry. She needed to be strong. "Niklaus would want me to be strong." She thought to herself and hoped that her glare would affect the vampire in front of her in anyway.

"It's because I care about that I need you to remember, Alexandra. I can't do this anymore. I can't stay away, not anymore, not after last night." He said in a softer voice tainted with sorrow, but he didn't stop himself from moving closet.

Last night built his hopes up to the skies, he thought he could finally have a chance with her. Then, the very same night, destroyed it all. The image of Klaus kissing her kept popping in his mind, a constant reminder of what he couldn't have. The worst part was that she looked like she fit perfectly with Klaus. He had been thinking about it all night, she could balance Klaus out. But whenever this idea crossed his mind, he would tell himself that Klaus didn't deserve her. In all honesty, Stefan didn't think he deserves her either.

She held her wrist with her other hand close to her chest, protecting it from Stefan's gaze. However, Alexandra knew it was a pathetic attempt. It would be so easy for him to pull her arm out of her socket before he tore off her bracelet. She decided that if she survived this, she would drink vervain not only wear it.

Her eyes held his gaze, inwardly she wondered what's the worst that could happen. Alexandra decided that if he only wanted her to remember then it might be a good thing. "It wouldn't hurt to recall those memories he stole away from me, right?"

Stefan's hand touched hovered over her cheek, he wanted to touch her, but he didn't want to scare her away from him. He clenched then unclenched his fists, shaking his head, he whispered, "this is for the best."

He held pulled her hand gently, his fingers caressing the pulse point on her wrist, surprised when she didn't resist him. When he tore off the bracelet, he heard her soft voice ask him, "Your best or mine?"

He looked up and with the saddest smile she had ever seen on him he looked straight into her eyes, "Remember everything I made you forget."

A/N
Hello beautiful people, ♥️
I hope you liked this chapter too. A bit more drama, but I hope y'all are excited to know Alexandra's reaction. Honestly, I can't wait!

Do you think the memories will somehow bring her to feel differently about Stefan?

Also, what do you think Elijah and Damon are doing? 👀

Finally, I'm very happy with each read, vote, and comment. I'm so lucky I've got great reader ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Lots of love 💕,
Alex xoxo