FORTY THREE

Stefan was pacing the parlor of the boarding house. Elena sat watching him, "I just don't understand. I thought..." A sob broke out of her chest, then she swallowed thickly, "I thought you love me, I thought we would always find our way back to each other."

He stopped his pacing, "I'm sorry, Elena. I really am. I love you, and I always will. But I'm not in love with you anymore." He did really feel bad for what he was doing. However, he tried to console himself with the thought that she wasn't in love with him, not anymore.

Stefan had seen the subtle looks she had been throwing at his brother. He noticed how they had gotten closer during his time away with Klaus. Although Damon seemed distant, Stefan knew that once he was out of the picture his brother would jump right in.

"It's because of her, Alex." Elena mumbled her conclusion so softly, hoping and praying that she was wrong.

Stefan didn't give a reply, "It doesn't matter. I just thought I should be honest with you, it isn't fair that I keep you hanging like that."

Elena shook her head, then walked out of the boarding house. But right before she left, she came face to face with none other than her worst nightmare. "Klaus." She sneered his name.

"Hello, love." He said tauntingly. "I hope you don't forget to give your scheduled blood donation soon."

She only glared at him, then walked away. At that moment, Elena saw her entire life falling apart. Her heart broke a thousand times as she drove all the way to her house.

Klaus entered the boarding house, strolled in like he owned the entire place. "Ripper." He greeted Stefan, like they were still friends, like he hadn't come here to earn him away and scare the living light out of him.

"What brought you here, Klaus?" Stefan asked with a hard glare on his face.

"I heard the rather depressing and might I add very touch talk you had with the lovely Ms. Gilbert." Klaus found a seat on the armchair then his sinister smirk was back on his face, "I should just warn you, that doing this would get you nowhere near Alexandra."

Stefan didn't retort right away, there was a long moment of silence which was followed by his clam tone. "How long do you think it would take her to see how wrong you are? How long before you turn her against her will? Before you find a way to keep her in a box just like the rest of your family? How long before she decides that she wants a normal life?"

Klaus almost bit the inside of his cheek to contain his anger. He didn't want Stefan to think he was getting a rise out of him. "Stay away from her, ripper." Stefan stood up, staring at Stefan dead in the eyes, "She's mine!"

Stefan didn't budge, in all honesty he knew that pursuing Alexandra would be futile. He knew that she wouldn't see him that way. All he was trying to do at that moment was to heal. He wanted to heal his broken heart, and mend his tainted soul.

He could only hope that Alexandra would get back to seeing him as a friend. That was all he could wish for. But even as a friend, a life with Klaus wasn't what he wished for her.

"She is smart, strong, and very opinionated." Stefan started, "I can't tell her what to do, I can't force her. No one can." There was a clear message in his words to Klaus, and he believed the hybrid understood exactly what he meant, that even him shouldn't even think of forcing Alexandra to do anything.

At that same moment, and right as Klaus was about ready to lunge at Stefan, Damon walked in with Elijah on his two. "What is going on here?" Damon sked and flashed to stand between Stefan and Klaus.

"Brother, what are you doing here?" Elijah asked moving closer, worried for Damon's safety as well. He could feel anger radiating off Klaus and that was never a good sign.

"Klaus and I were having a chat, and I believe it's over now." Stefan retorted then his eyes found Klaus, "She did something that was completely against her nature, Klaus. And it was for you. As much as it kills me that you were her choice, I have got to respect it."

Stefan walked away, leaving the other three vampires to stand there. Something in Klaus snapped, somehow Stefan's words really got to him. Alexandra did everything for him, and it was about time that he would do the same for her.

A very warm feeling overwhelmed him, it was in his chest, strange as it was, the feeling wasn't unwelcomed. Klaus felt a strange need to have her in his arms right at that second. He knew she was probably still as school, but he didn't care. He would go and pick her up, and probably keep her in his room for as long as he could.

As he was leaving, his eyes seemed to catch on his brother and Damon. His raised a questioning eyebrow, "What are you two doing here?" He assessed then with his eyes, then a smirk was plastered on his face, "In fact, I should ask why you're together." He gave Elijah a knowing look, then he left the two to their own devices in favor of finding his girl.

Damon turned to Elijah with a questioning look, "Do you think he knows about us?" He mouthed the words too worried that his brother would hear from upstairs.

Elijah hummed, not giving an actual answer. Then he pulled Damon by the waist, and kissed his lips passionately. "Isn't it about time everyone knows?" He asked then kissed him again.

Damon was distracted with the way Elijah's tongue was untangled with his own and how his hand descended further onto the cheek of his butt, gripping it possessively. However, when his kind registered the words, he froze and his eyes opened wide. "Are you serious?" He asked with obvious uncertainty.

Elijah nodded giving him a small smile, "I see no shame in being with you." He then picked Damon's lips, "I love you, and I don't care who knows, in fact I wouldn't mind telling the entire world about it."

Damon felt a grin coming over his face. Damon thought that if he was human, his face would have probably hurt like hell. He bit his lower lip, love and lust overflowing his body. His final insecurity was just crashed into nothing as Elijah declared his pride in being with him.

"I love you too." Damon retorted, wrapping his arms around Elijah's neck.

Elijah could feel that part of his body hardening once more, as his desire for Damon increased. He had never thought that he could love someone that hard, that he would constantly desire someone that much.

"I believe we should take this upstairs." Elijah suggested and Damon nodded his head, already kissing down Elijah's neck as he flashed them both upstairs. He no longer cared if his brother heard them, "Stefan can just leave if he can't take the noise." Damon thought to himself.

A/N

Hello beautiful people,

I hope you like this chapter, and enjoy the story as a whole. I'm so sad that it's coming to an end, but that's the way life is.

How do you feel about a double update? I'm kinda feeling it 😅

I'm so happy with every read, vote, and comment. They all mean the world to me.

Lots of love, 💕
Alex xoxo