Chapter 4 - Mum's House

We hang around the McDonald's for another half an hour. Every few minutes, my gaze drifts back over to Alec. Sam barely speaks a word and I try my best not to look at him because every time I do, another memory resurfaces. I see his disgusted face, his glares directed at me. I hear the comments, the way he used to laugh when his friends hurt me. All of the memories are too much, so I force myself to ignore him. After we're all done eating, Alec jogs back over and I fight the urge to laugh.

"I'll er, take your stuff shall I?" He says sheepishly, his eyes on me. I grin.
"You want to put our rubbish in the bin?" I ask sceptically, raising my eyebrow. Alec turns red.
"Yeah?" He reaches out for the empty box infront of me, "I'm just being a good waiter, Michael, do you have a problem?" I turn bright red. He says my name so softly, like its the most beautiful thing in the world. Sam huffs angrily but I ignore him.
"No," I breathe, "I'll help you," I say quickly, jumping to my feet. Alec grins and nods.

Together, Alec and I gather the group's rubbish and take it over to the bin.
"So, whats your favourite colour?" Alec asks as we walk.
"What?" I smile, amused.
"I don't know, I'm just making conversation," He chuckles lightly and I can't help but smile. We reach the bin and we toss the rubbish inside. We stay stood by the bin.
"Purple," I tell him after a moment, "My favourite colour is purple, especially the colour of Monica and Rachel's apartment from Friends,"

"I love Friends!" Alec exclaims and my smile widens.
"Me too! Who's your favourite?"
"Chandler. He's funny and good looking. You can't go wrong," Alec beams. "Who's yours?"
"Monica. She's just the best, she's such an icon," I say, unable to keep the smile off my face. Alec nods in agreement. We begin to walk back towards the others. I glance at Alec.
    "What's yours then?"
    "My what?"
    "Your favourite colour?"
    "I like blue, there are so many different shades. I think the prettiest things are blue," He smiles softly. I smile back.

When we reach the table, the others have all gotten to their feet. Kai claps his hands together, and leans into Amir's chest.
    "This has been lovely, but we have to get going. My parents aren't home and Amir and I have movies to watch," Kai grins and Amir's eyes widen in mock horror,
    "No! Please! Anything but movies. You're impossible to watch movies with," Amir says as Kai rolls his eyes
    "I am not," He scoffs, "Some films just don't have enough character development," He raises his eyebrows at Amir who is trying not to laugh. Amir leans down and kisses him swiftly.
    "Whatever you say, darling," Amir says as Kai turns red and mutters something under his breath.

Amir and Kai say their goodbyes before leaving, bickering fondly all the way. I message mum and ask if she can pick me up, not wanting to impose on Kai and Amir. Alec heads back to the service counter as Amita, Sam and I make our way outside. I hang back as the others walk to Sam's car.  When they reach it, Sam turns back to look at me. He frowns lightly and says something to Amita, then he edges back towards me.
"Michael, do you need a lift?" He asks tentatively. I frown at him. I don't understand. One minute he's nice to me, the next he's being rude and homophobic and now he's being nice again.

"Why?" I ask, I'm starting to get the feeling that he's messing with me.
"Why what?" He frowns lightly, crossing his arms.
"Why are you offering me a lift? You were literally pissed off at me less than five minutes ago," I say, my voice twinged with annoyance. Sam runs a hand through his fluffy blond hair and lets out a breathy laugh.
"No, Michael, I wasn't mad at you," He grins. I don't. I still don't know what he's playing at. I step backwards.
"C'mon Sam, I could hear you muttering and you were giving Alec and I the coldest glare I've ever seen," I raise my eyebrows as Sam's eyes widen.

He steps closer to me and reaches out. He looks down at his hand, almost touching mine.
"I wasn't mad at you," He repeats gently. He looks back up at me and our eyes meet. "Come on Michael, let me give you a lift home," His fingers brush my hand and I flinch backwards.
"Don't touch me," I hiss lowly, memories flashing behind my eyes. I stumble backwards, shaking my head as Sam's eyes widen with guilt.
"Michael, I-" He reaches out again but I shake my head violently.
"No. Stop it. I have to go," I turn away.