Chapter 13 - Aftermath

I can hear someone singing softly under their breath.
    "And I've heard of a love that comes once in a life time," I can feel someone's thumb stroking my hand in a comforting way. "And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine, cause," The person sounds like an angel. A sad angel. "I'm in a field of dandelions wishing on every one that you'll be mine, mine" The angel sounds like he means every word of the song he's singing. It sounds like he's singing them about me, "And I see forever in your eyes, I feel okay when I see you smile, smile," I want to reach out and tell the angel that it's all okay and that I feel the same. But then I open my eyes and I hate myself for thinking that because the angel is Sam.

His eyes widen when he notices that I'm awake.
"Michael, oh my god," Before I can stop him, he's leaned down and hugged me. His arms wrap protectively around me and I feel myself automatically leaning into his touch. Then I realise what I'm doing and I push him away from me.
    "Get away from me," I say coldly, my voice sounds a little hoarse. Sam's expression breaks, he looks hurt, I can't really find it in me to care. He stumbles backwards, his eyes trained on mine.
    "Sam, they had cough drops in the vending machine!" Tessa bursts into the room, a triumphant look on her face. A tall red headed boy trails behind her. Tessa spots me,
    "Oh my god, Micheal! You're awake!" Tessa grins and rushes forward. She hugs me quickly.

She then hands a small packet of cough drops to me before returning to her friends side. "This is Lucas," She grins and gestures at him. He waves at me and I smile back weakly. I look down at the cough drops but don't open them. Tess's eyes flicker between Sam and I before she says, "I'm going to go and get a doctor," She and Lucas leave the room, leaving Sam and I alone.
    "What happened?" I ask after a moment. Sam's eyes widen and he looks suddenly angry.
    "Brent and some of the other fucking idiots from the team lit the Amerfield shower rooms on fire and they're stupid and didn't realise that it would spread. You got trapped. I- Alec and I saved you. He realised you were still there after I'd messaged him to tell him Brent's plan. We both got to the school as fast as we could," I can see tears in his eyes.

    "When- When we got there, all I could see was this massive fire and I- I thought you were... dead," He reaches out to take my hand, a tear rolling down his cheek. I don't pull away. "I got you out of the fire and Alec called the Ambulance. You have smoke inhalation but apart from that you're okay," He gives me a small smile and I can't help but return it.
    "How long was I out for?" I ask tentatively after a moment.
    "About twenty hours," He replies.
    "Have you... have you been here the whole time?" I watch him carefully, feeling my anxiety prickling inside of me.

Sam turns slightly red.
    "Er- yeah. I made sort of a big deal out of it actually. After I pulled you out of the fire, you asked me not to leave you and I promised I wouldn't. I screamed at a bunch of doctors because they tried to make me leave your side," He looks embarrassed but I feel warmth spread through my heart. I open my mouth to thank him but I'm interrupted as a doctor walks into the room, followed by my mum. When Mum spots me she gasps and runs to hug me.
    "Oh god, Michael darling are you okay?" She asks, fussing over me and ruffling my hair. I grin and nod.
    "Why aren't you still in Seoul?" I ask when she steps away from me. I try to ignore the fact that Sam and I are still holding hands as Mum sighs,
    "I got a call from the hospital and rushed on the first plane here," She hugs me again before moving so that the doctor can speak to me.

When she pulls away, I notice a diamond ring on her finger. I gasp but it comes out as a slight wheeze through my smoke damaged throat.
    "Mum!" I say excitedly, "Did he propose?!" I grin brightly at her.
    "What?" She looks down at her ring, "Oh yeah, he did," She bites back a smile as she gazes at the ring.
    "I'm so happy for you," I whisper. Mum laughs lightly and shakes her head, tears in her eyes. She hugs me again.
    "You almost died, kiddo. Now is not the time to discuss my engagement,"
    "I beg to differ,"