Chapter 7 - Acheiving Straightness

I spent the weekend at Mum's. But now it's Monday and I'm not going to see her, Dae-Seong or Alby for two weeks now because they've gone to Seoul to visit Dae-Seong's family. I'm not looking forward to weekends with Dad at all but I've decided not to focus on it. The only thing I'm focusing on now is the football game this week. Amerfield and Robinville have this big annual tournament. They play five games against each other and the team with the most wins at the end gets three hundred pounds for new gear and they get a big trophy. This Friday is the first game of the tournament.

Tension has been building between the schools and its not pretty. According to Sam and Alec, their team seem more competitive than usual this year. Both teams have started having more practices after school, its all a little bit ridiculous, I've never seen people this competitive before. Amir is arguably taking this more seriously than anyone else on the Amerfield team. He's started making game plans using his carrot slices at lunch. At first it was a bit funny, but Felix has joined in too and now the two of them sit with straight faces, discussing plans all through breaks.

"I can't wait for the games to be over," Kai murmurs to me at Monday lunch break. Our group, which consists of Kai, Amir, Felix and I, are all sitting at an outdoor bench near the football field. Felix and Amir are hunched over a hastily drawn map of the football pitch. One of Amir's hands is holding a pen whilst the other rests in Kai's hand. "They're taking this far too seriously," Kai tells me as Amir scribbles something down on their map. I nod in agreement.
"They haven't spoken a word to us all break," I chuckle. Kai scoffs and nods in agreement.

"It's ridiculous, honestly. I think he's forgotten I exist," Kai adjusts his glasses as he stares at Amir. Amir chuckles lightly.
"I'll make it up to you after school, darling, we can go and get dinner," Amir looks up for a moment and kisses Kai's cheek. Kai turns bright red.
"I- well... I... I ju-... fine," He glares down at his sandwich as Amir and I burst out laughing. My phone buzzes on the table and I pick it up. I can't help but smile as a message from Alec pops up on my screen.
Alec <3 -
I may or may not be outside your school with KFC,
pls save me from the glares of your classmates.

Me -
Why r u skipping school

Alec <3 -
I'm literally not! The football team are allowed to leave the premises for lunch.
My school is really biased towards sport players.

Me -
So non-sport kids just have to suffer with gross school food?

Alec <3 -
Yep.
Robinville sucks 👍

Me -
Just quit

Alec <3 -
I wish. They need me tho, I'm a top tier footballer.

Me -
Suuuuuure

Alec <3 -
I am! Ur not allowed to doubt me! It's part of the boyfriend's honour.
It's like scout's honour, except gay.
Also, I brought u KFC! Don't be mean.

Me -
Okay, you're a top tier footballer.
Also, I'm omw <3

Alec <3 -
Thank you, I think your classmates want to kill me.

Me -
Probably lmao

Alec <3 -
Thats not comforting!!
Save me boyfriend in shining armour

Me -
Okayyyy <3

Alec <3 -
<3

I hurriedly say goodbye to group before jumping to my feet and speed walking towards the car park. Sure enough, Alec's white jeep is parked there and he's leaning against it, staring at his phone, clearly pretending to be doing something on it. Little groups of Amerfield students have gathered around, watching Alec. They're clearly very suspicious of him, after all he's a player from the enemy team who's just randomly pulled up at our school. I head over to Alec and he looks up from his phone, a relieved smile appearing on his face.
"Hi," I grin as I approach. Alec beams at me,
"Hey," He hugs me.