Chapter 8 - The Game

It's Friday. Game day. Tensions are running high. In the car on the way to school, Sam is extremely quiet. I can tell he's nervous. For some reason, I have an itching urge to reach out and take his hand, to reassure him in any way I can. But I don't. Because I have Alec and because I shouldn't be feeling anything towards Sam, not after what happened between us. When Sam drops me off outside Amerfield, he barely says a word. I quietly wish him luck as I close the car door though and for a moment a smile appears on his face. During school, Amir and Felix chatter nonstop about their first game of the big competition. Even Kai can't stop talking about it. I text with Alec constantly throughout the day, trying to calm his nerves.

As the game draws closer, I feel a nervous energy arise within me. For once I feel involved in it. I feel like I'm part of the team. This isn't just a game being played by the school team. This is a game being played by my team. I can feel everyone getting more and more excited as classes draw to a close and everywhere I turn people are discussing the game. When school ends, I head out to the car park, towards Amir's car. Alec texted during lunch to say he wanted to stay late at football practice to improve his penalty kick so Amir agreed to give me a lift home. I stare down at my phone as I walk, completely distracted by Alec who has just messaged me.
Alec <3 -
Sorry I'm not there to pick you up.

Me -
It's okay, don't stress <3

Alec <3 -
I can't wait to see you tonight :) I know you
work for the other team but I'm still going to
show off for you.

Me -
Ur an idiot

Alec <3 -
U love me 💅

I stop dead in my tracks, staring at the message. Butterflies thrash wildly around my stomach. Do I love him? Do I love Alec? I stay frozen for a moment before another message pops up.
Alec <3 -
Mikey, I'm so sorry.
I didn't mean to say that.
I understand if its too soon.
I don't want to pressure you into anything.
I'm sorry.

I smile gently and type out my response. I send it quickly before I can overthink it.
Me -
Maybe I do <3

I grin at my phone, my heart beating a little faster. Maybe I do. Maybe I really do love Alec. And if I don't, then I'm definitely on the way there. Alec is incredible. He's respectful, funny, kind, attractive and sweet. He's a dream guy. I smile foolishly at my phone as the message reads 'seen'. I ignore the tiny spike of anxiety in my head as I put my phone into my pocket and look up, trying to find Amir's car. My eyes widen in shock as I notice a very familiar white coupe in a mostly empty corner of the car park. Sam is leaning against his car, headphones in, nodding along to whatever music is playing. My heart immediately flutters and beats faster. I mentally tell it to shut up. It's just Sam. Just my friend Sam. I spot Amir and Kai a few metres away, both of their eyes flitting between Sam and I.

I wave awkwardly at Amir before pointing towards Sam, trying to signal that I'm going to go with him. Amir seems to get the message because he nods and says something to Kai before they both get in his car. I take a small breath and begin walking towards Sam. He hasn't noticed me yet. He only looks up when I reach the car and tap him on the shoulder. His whole face lights up when he sees me.
    "Valley!" He cries, shoving his phone into his pocket, "I was about to go home. I thought you'd already left," He grins and runs a hand through his hair, his eyes focused on me. I chuckle lightly and shake my head.
    "You didn't have to come and pick me up," I murmur as I walk around to the passenger seat.
    "I know," Sam says, "But I wanted to,"

————

Knocking on Sam Foster's front door for the first time in four years is way more anxiety provoking than I'd expected it to be. It takes me at least two minutes to build up the courage to even raise my hand and curl it into a fist. Then another three to convince myself to actually knock. I close my eyes, take a deep breath and get it over with. I quickly shove my hand into my pocket after I've knocked three times. A few moments later, the door swings open. Sam stands there in his football uniform, a big duffle bag slung over one shoulder. He grins when he sees me.