Chapter 14 - The Camp

Sam and I don't get a chance to talk and the next morning rolls around faster than I would like. I wake up in my room at mum's house. I can hear Mum downstairs talking to someone. She's pretty much been on the phone non-stop since I got back. She's either on call with Dae-Seong or a lawyer. Last night, I told her that Dad hit me and she's furious. She immediately started making calls to file for full custody. Honestly I'm pretty confident she'll win. I yawn and slowly climb out of bed, trying to ignore the pounding headache already growing. I glance over at the small suitcase in the corner of my room, ready for me to take to camp. I sigh deeply. A message pops up on my phone.
Sam -
Hey. Do u want 2 come over b4 school bb?

I frown down at the message. It's not how Sam texts at all. He always uses proper grammar and spelling and he can't stand abbreviations. Also he would never call me bb.
Me -
Wrong number? Sam are you okay?
I wait anxiously as the typing bubble pops up and disappears again. A moment later, a message sends through.
Sam -
Sorry Michael. I got low key drunk w the guys last night. I just need to c u. And talk. Pls?

Me -
Yeah. Okay I'm omw.

Sam -
Gr8 <3

I can't shake off the strange feeling as I get dressed and head downstairs, ready to go to Sam's house. Those messages didn't seem like him at all, but then again I don't know if thats just how he messages when he's drunk or hungover. I ignore my creeping sense of doubt as I tell my mum that I'm going to Sam's. She offers to drive me there so I run upstairs and grab my suitcase so we can head straight to school to get the bus to camp afterwards. When we get to Sam's mum says she'll wait in the car and we can give Sam a lift to his school if he wants. I thank her quickly and get out of the car. I hurry up to Sam's front door and knock. After a few moments I hear Sam yell,
    "Come in!"

I frown, feeling more anxious than before but I go inside anyways. I can hear voices coming from the living room.
    "So you're not friends with him then?" Brent. I stop in my tracks.
"No! I just felt bad for him," Sam says, his voice full of ruthless laughter. "C'mon man, you really think I'd be friends with Mike the Homo? That's mental, mate," He laughs. By that time, I've reached the doorway. I stare at Sam. He's surrounded by a bunch of guys from his football team, all of them are laughing at what he's said. Sam looks up and spots me. "Michael? What the fuck are you doing here?" He asks, his face pale.
"You- you invited me," I stutter, shrinking back under the harsh gazes of his friends.

Sam shakes his head slowly and Brent bursts out laughing.
"No, Mike the Homo. I invited you," He smirks, "Foster left his phone unlocked and I thought I'd see if you'd actually go out of your way to come and see him if he asked. And you did," He grins and everyone laughs. "Pathetic," Brent spits. I stare at Sam who stays silent.
"Fuck you," I spit at Brent. His expression immediately becomes serious.
"The fuck did you just say to me, homo?" He snarls, getting to his feet.
"You heard me. Fuck. You. Does it make you feel cool? Being an asshole? Making people feel like shit?" I glare at Brent, anger eclipsing my anxiety.

Brent takes a step towards me, his face angry.
"Watch your mouth, homo," He spits.
"Brent, I've always wondered, were you born this stupid or did you take lessons?" I grin as his face starts to redden with rage and his friends all try not to laugh.
"You better watch yourself, before I beat the shit out of you, homo," He snarls, jabbing a finger into my chest. I give him a look of mock worry,
"Isn't it dangerous to use your whole vocabulary in one sentence?" I ask. His face turns every redder and his friends howl with laughter. Sam just stares on at me, looking mortified.

Brent raises a fist and I know it's time to leave. I glance over at Sam.
"Never talk to me ever again. Trusting you was a bigger mistake than Brent over here," I glare at him and he looks like he wants to speak. But he stays silent. I turn on my heel and head for the exit. When I reach the doorway, I turn back and smirk at Brent who's shaking with rage.
"When you next look in the mirror, say hi to the clown you see in there for me, would you?" I grin through my sadness and walk away. I can hear his friends laughing behind me and Brent yelling. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I also feel sad. Sad that I trusted Sam and was disappointed yet again.