Pink and Black Earmuffs

AERI

I jerk out of bed the moment my alarm rings at seven sharp. The sun is up already— and I rush out of my blankets, to check the dining room table.

It was my thirteenth birthday today.

And my parents and my brother always left me presents on the table. My parents had let me skip school today, because they'd felt guilty for not being here to celebrate it with me.

They wouldn't be home until midnight.

Aemin would be home at eleven.

But I still burst into a happy smile when I see two wrapped boxes on the table. There's also a couple of bills that my parents had left for me to spend for myself.

Today was going to be a great day.

Even though I'd be by myself, I'd make it work.

And I'm about to open the first present, a small cream-colored box, when I hear the doorbell ring. It echoes across the silence in the house.

...the doorbell? But I couldn't think of anyone who'd come at a time this early.

Maybe the milkman?

Still in my pajamas, I climb out of the chair and shuffle carefully towards the door. With my guard up, I hesitantly open the door just a little bit.

My eyes widen to see who's on the other side.

"V!"

But compared to the bright smile that spreads on my face, he frowns. Then he looks over the door, front and back.

His voice is dead serious.

"You don't have a safety lock? Or even a peephole?"

"Aeri, I could've been anyone."

"My dad said he was going to get to installing a safety lock real soon." I say reassuringly. "He just hasn't had the time to get to it yet. Right now it's just the lock."

My expression brightens. "How did you know it was my birthday?"

"You don't remember telling it to me last night?" He says, his eyes still fixed on the door as he clicks it close. "You asked me to come, silly girl."

Oh shoot. I did.

"Come open presents with me!" I say, blushing as I change the topic. "On the dining table."

"Have you eaten yet?"

I shake my head.

"Then we'll go get some after this." He says, and I jump in excitement— hurrying to the kitchen to finish opening the boxes. I was so hungry already.

A pair of pink earmuffs, from Aemin.

And I'm surprised to see that when I open the second box, there's another pair of earmuffs. The only difference is that it's a little bit bigger, and it's black.

I blink, the same moment V looks over my shoulder.

"Why is there two?"

I giggle. My parents clearly hadn't told Aemin what they were getting me— and Aemin clearly hadn't either.

"Family telepathy." I say as I place the pink, smaller earmuffs over my head and beckon V closer. His eyes scrunch when I clamp the black, bigger one over his head.

He starts to take it off. "Aeri, this is yours."

"No, no. It won't fit me anyway." I murmur, closing up the boxes. "It's a little too big. And what will I do with two?"