In Midnight

V

"I don't know."

"Don't know?" He echoes, with a harsh laugh at the end. The knife comes away from my neck, only to touch the soft skin above my eye.

"Did you think I was making a damn joke when I said I was going to take out your eye earlier?"

My gaze is unwavering as it meets his.

"I don't have it. I thought it was going to be somewhere in this house, but I haven't found it. So I don't know."

I look for a weak point. Any point, that I could possibly break through and take advantage of. All it took was one mistake.

He makes a sound of disbelief, spitting on the floor.

"I still don't think you understand."

And the moment he angles the blade down on my eye, I drop. The sound of the knife cutting air whistles above my head as I slam a heavy fist straight up his jaw. He stumbles back with a cry, and in a second his knife is in my hands.

His eyes are full of shock as he stares up at me, and the tip of his own knife aimed straight for his heart.

I kill him before he takes his next breath.

And I gingerly touch my throat, wincing as I slowly get to my feet. My fingers come away red. He'd intentionally cut me in a spot where it wouldn't heal easily.

I had to get away. Now that my father knew.

My brows furrow as I look down at the dead assassin.

But it wasn't like my father, to send only one like this. Had he really—

But I should've known.

The window I'd been standing next to shatters.

And I don't even have time to react. But before I can even move my hands, a silhouette crosses the living room. Slender arms wrap around my shoulders.

My back crashes against the wooden floor. And the moment I hear a soft, muffled gasp of pain above me, my eyes jerk open.

Aeri looks down at me, shards of glass littered in the locks of her dark hair.

"Stupid," She hisses, with a strained whisper. Her arms tighten weakly around my body.

"What were you thinking, just standing there?"

"Aeri," I rasp, but she doesn't let me continue.

"What even happened here?" She growls, pressing her sleeve to the cut on my neck. "Why are you always getting hurt? Last time it was poison, and now this."

"Aeri."

She ignores me, looking towards the broken window.

"There were other guys out there. And obviously they'd target the window— come on, V. You should know. But Jungkook is probably taking care of them by now— he's a good fighter, isn't he? I saw..."

Then she shudders.

And I curse, the moment I realize.

"You're hurt."

"Aeri, look at me." I murmur, my voice sounding terribly vulnerable as I clasp her shoulders, gently shifting her off of me. "Aeri, please."

"Please."

"It's nothing," She mumbles, her voice growing faint as I slowly turn her around. "We need to get you to a hospital. You're still bleeding, you know. What if you lose all your blood and die?"