Break Him First

V

"You what?"

"What do you mean "what"?" Jungkook growls back at me, tossing his cap back onto the couch. "She caught onto me. You should've at least mentioned she was that quick."

I grip his wrist.

"But you got her out of there, didn't you?"

"Yeah." He says, eyes narrowing into a glare. "Hyung, what did you even do to her? The moment she realized that I had anything to do with you, the look in her eyes changed."

He snaps his fingers in front of my eyes.

"Bam. Just like that."

"One moment she looked like she was going to adopt me, and the next literally murder me."

I hesitate for a second, before I finally tell him.

"Her brother was one of the victims from Seohan. Six years ago. And when he died, her mother passed away from shock. Her father killer himself right in front of her eyes."

Jungkook's mouth drops open.

"Don't tell me you..."

"She thinks I did that."

"Are you out of your mind?!" Jungkook exclaims, looking like he's about to lose his as he stares at me. "Tell her the damn truth! Do you want her to hate you or something? If I was her, I would've strangled you to death already!"

"She already did that too."

He falls into silence, before shooting me a look.

"I mean, you're still here so she clearly didn't finish what she started." He mumbles, breathing out in annoyance. "If you don't tell her, she's going to hate you forever. No wonder she looked like she was about to kill me."

Then the door suddenly bursts open.

"Ha! Loser, you couldn't even bring a girl back here? Are you serious?"

Jungkook's expression morphs into a violent scowl as Jimin jumps into the room, finger pointed accusingly towards him.

"You're actually so bad with girls!"

"She isn't a typical girl." Jungkook growls back. "If you think it's so easy, then why don't you try bringing her here? I'll bet everything I have that she'll break your nose and send you crying."

Jimin's voice raises.

"What did you just say, you bunny-ass psychopath?"

I sigh.

I'd just do this myself.

Jimin and Jungkook are still going at each other as I step out of the room, my head hurting. My thoughts won't leave her— it won't leave Aeri.

If only I'd tried just a little harder.

If I'd found her before the Underground had. If only had I been able to keep her safe. She had lost everything in the span of days, and where had I been?

Foolish bastard.

My family had destroyed hers. Would anything change if I listened to Jungkook? Told her that it hadn't been me who had burned her brother to the ground that day?