What's Left Behind

An Year After

AERI

"Tae!"

I squint up at the ceiling, trying to keep my balance as best as possible while trying to screw in the lightbulb. My fingertips scrape against the metal coil, while my other hand barely clasps onto the edge of the fridge I'm holding onto.

Currently I'm standing on the kitchen counter.

And I'm about to call for him again when I hear rapid footsteps.

V turns the corner, and I press down a laugh when I see a horrified expression twist his entire face.

He lunges for me— or more for the lightbulb when it accidentally slips from my hand.

He catches it out of the air, placing it on the table next to me before practically snatching me off the counter and forcefully putting me back on the floor.

I smile up at him.

"Are you insane?" He snaps, his arm still tight around my waist. "The counter's wet, Aeri. Do you want to slip and break something?"

"You should've called me."

"I did," I pout, finding his stressed face so adorable. "Just now, remember?"

I burst into laughter when he purses his lips together in a flat line. I quickly wrap a hug around his body, poking his cheek with a fingertip.

"Just kidding."

"Don't play around with me." He murmurs, wordlessly pushing me away and picking the lightbulb off the table. My smile widens when I notice the bright red of his ears as he reaches up, screwing it in easily into its place.

"But I want to play."

He shakes his head, settling down on the couch.

But the moment I reach for my jacket and wrap it around my shoulders, he's on his feet again.

"Where are you going?"

"Rin's store," I say. "I have to go pick up more milk since you keep drinking all of it."

My eyes soften when he immediately motions for me to wait, to grab his jacket as well. He disappears for barely a few seconds before coming out of the room again, coat and cap in hand.

Still.

Even after a year.

"Come on." He whispers, brushing his dark locks back and pushing the white cap on top of his head. His eyes flicker.

"Milk's heavy."

"...Tae." I start quietly. "I'll be fine."

For over a year. He refused to go anywhere without me. We'd never been apart for more than a minute. He simply refused to let me leave his sight, after what happened.

One night I'd left the apartment briefly, to take out the trash. I'd been emptying the bin when he found me, in complete panic and terror written all over his face. When we'd come back into the house, he'd held onto me for the entire night.

Ever since then, I even went with him to take out the trash.

So when I say it, he pretends he doesn't hear me.

I sigh softly, before repeating his name.

"Tae."

My voice is firm.