Romeo and Juliet

7:32pm

AERI

He's not letting me leave.

I'd already gotten caught twice trying to sneak out, ever since I'd drank that cure last night. Because of that second time he'd stayed in the small, cramped apartment the entire day, just wordlessly focused on a novel for the last five hours.

I crumple up another piece of paper and chuck it at him.

It bounces pitifully off his leg, landing on the floor. And Jin finally looks up.

"I don't think you realize how malnourished and weak you really are."

"I feel fine." I repeat, aggressively crumpling up another piece of paper. "I've been resting the entire week. I feel—"

His jaw flexes.

"It takes more than a week to recover from seven months of starving yourself, Miss Aeri."

"Right now you feel fine. But do you realize how much toll it could take on you to cover over ten miles? By foot, as well."

I hurl the paper ball at the corner of the room.

"I can, I promise."

Jin whispers out another sigh. And I hear the low buzz of his phone vibrating before he leaves the room, telling me to stay with a quiet look. He closes the door behind himself.

But these doors are so thin— thinner than he thinks they are.

"Are you with her?"

It's Jungkook.

I recognize his voice. And I instantly get to my feet, almost running across the room to press my ear against the door. I hear Jin's hushed yes.

What I hear next stuns me.

"He killed Kim Haein. But he thinks Miss Aeri's dead, and he disappeared someplace. We're searching for him right now, but—"

"Please. Just stay with her."

"Don't let her know. It's not going to sit well with her."

I feel a spark of betrayal even though I understand Jungkook is acting for my sake. My eyes flicker to the window, where the glass reflects my face.

Who wouldn't?

Even with a week of recovery, I looked like some hollowed insomniac.

But this is ridiculous.

My jaw is set as I shove myself into the mess of blankets on the floor, body turned away from the door. Soon I hear the call end, and the faint click of the doorknob.

I feel his gaze on me.

Then I hear a soft sigh. The door softly shuts again, and I hear Jin's footsteps as he walks away. I knew how he always did it when I was asleep— always checking around the area, in a wide circle.

He always came back within an hour. To check on me before repeating the cycle all over again.

So the moment he leaves, I push off the blankets.

I had one hour to get myself as far away from this place as possible. Last time I'd gotten caught.

This time I wouldn't.

_________________________________

At the twenty minute mark, I feel him.

I feel his presence, almost like a chill as it shoots down my back. So the moment instinct tells me to hide, I do exactly what it tells me to.