Breaths Tied Together

AERI

Run.

Run.

I shove the other piece of the blueprint I'd managed to hold onto into my jacket pocket as another round of bullets hit inches away from my head. V pulls me into a narrow alley just in time, and the bullets drive into the side of a building where I had just been.

The adrenaline drowns out the pain in my back.

And my legs force themselves to run, as I breathlessly follow V through the maze of streets and alleys. I can hear them close behind us, their footsteps and gunshots too loud and near.

But the adrenaline only goes so far.

Soon the pain in my back turns to agony as my wound flares mercilessly. Sweat and heat pours down my skin, and I swallow down nausea as I force myself to move.

The ground spins.

V suddenly pulls me into a dark corner behind a pile of boxes. His eyes meet mine, and he holds my gaze for a split second. A single silent second, but he could not have possibly said more than he did.

Stay here.

Keep yourself safe.

Don't come after me. You know better than to do that, love.

He lets go of my wrist, pressing a knife into my palm. The blade slips weakly through my numb fingertips, clattering on the ground. The moment he lets go, my legs crumple helplessly under my figure.

I've never felt so fucking helpless.

He's gone before I can even scream out his name.

_______________________________

V

This is my fault.

I shouldn't have ever brought Aeri here.

My mind stays blank as I turn the opposite direction from where I had left her, leading them as far away as possible. All that remains in my head is to get these bastards away from her as far as I could.

This is my fault.

A gunshot echoes in the air.

And I feel something like a blow on the back of my thigh. Pain sparks like fire, and I curse as all the strength in my right leg drains out within a second. I feel the heat of blood against my skin.

No.

I was still too close to Aeri. I—

Another bullet buries itself in the lower left of my back. The coldness of the metal twists into my body, tearing through the flesh. An agonized sound bursts from my lips as I collapse forward, sinking down onto my knees.

Fuck.

Hands wrap around my throat. I taste blood on my tongue as I meet the eyes of my father's soldiers.

One.

My gaze flickers, moving weaker with each passing second.