Fight or Flight

RIN

Shit.

And the moment I notice, the soldiers notice too.

"Ah— told you he was here." One of them laughs, and I stare at their backs in horror as he bends down, fingers tightening around Jungkook's collar.

He's unconscious. I see blood, streaks of scarlet dried on the side of his pale cheek. His dark hair, soaked with red and snow, falls over his closed eyes. His figure stays slack even in the soldier's grip.

My heart twists.

He looks dead. He really looks dead.

But then the soldier presses his fingers harshly into the hollow of his bruised, snow-dusted throat, and I whisper out a stuttered breath of relief as he sniffs scornfully.

"Still alive, this crazy motherfucker."

"Just finish him off." The other one yawns, and I slowly wrap my fingers around a smaller rock next to me. His gaze is disinterested and annoyed.

"I told you, it's damn cold and I'm hungry."

"Fine," He groans, and I see him reach for his pistol. My heart is crashing in my chest now as I slowly measure the situation.

But I don't have time.

The one with the gun first.

And then figure it out from there.

I hurl the rock just as he aims the gun at Jungkook's chest. It whips through the air, hitting with a heavy, bone-shattering sound, and I instantly duck behind a tree close to me as gunshots erupt in the air.

"Who's there?!"

That one guy is down for sure. I'd heard the sound— there was no way he was standing right now. Even if I couldn't look.

But I couldn't drag this. Who knew he might just kill Jungkook first or take him hostage? There was literally nothing I could do.

So I take a deep breath.

And I dart out from behind the tree, trying not to scream as I run in a zigzag pattern to the nearest rock. Bullets splatter the dirt around my feet, and I hear one whiz by inches from the curve of my ear.

I throw myself behind the rock, just as another round of bullets crash around where I am.

Then there's a sound of an empty magazine and a loud cursing echo through the forest.

I smile grimly.

He's out.

Idiot. He'd probably went through the entire magazine of his friend's gun as well from just how much he'd shot at me.

Grabbing another stone on the ground, I pop out from behind the rock and hurl it straight for his forehead.

"Take this, you fucker!"

His eyes whip towards me. But then the excitement in my face drops as the stone sails past his head. I'd been a few inches off.