No Takebacks

RIN

They're so damn persistent.

It feels like over fifteen minutes have passed already. But they're still right after me, and I just can't seem to lose them. Every time I think I do, they just show up right there again, hot on my tail.

I'm starting to slow a little. Most men would've given up way earlier than this.

I curse, feeling my breaths run rougher as I glance over my shoulder.

These stupid—

Then an arm snakes around my waist, pulling me into the shadows of an alley even before I can make the tiniest squeak. I'm crushed into the cramped space, my back pressed against the wall and my face buried into someone's chest.

Panic starts to run wild.

Not again.

Not—

"Shh."

My frantic eyes find a steady, darkened gaze.

"Jungko—?!"

He winces, and the rest of my words crumble into a muffled sound as he covers my mouth with his hand. His voice is sharp and lowered.

"Hush."

Then I hear the men, shouting in confusion when they realize they've lost me. I hear rough cursing, and swallow down a knot in my throat.

Instinctively I press closer, trying to silence my rapid breaths. My fingers grip tightly onto the front of his shirt.

I squeeze my eyes close.

It feels safe, here.

It feels—

"Why would you do this?"

I blink. And I look up, a little bit taken aback by the tone of his voice. It's so unexpected how stern it is.

"...what?

"Why would you start something so reckless?" He repeats. "Back in the bar. Did you think that what you did was a good idea?"

I flush angrily.

Never mind.

I'd forgotten he was an annoying piece of shit.

"Then what was I supposed to do?" I breathe, my voice rising now that the men are gone. "They called out Aeri. I—"

"I understand." He murmurs.

"But throwing your glass on his head is only what fools would do. What if you'd gotten caught? Were you planning to run forever?"

My expression turns sour.

"I would've gotten away."

"Let's say you did, then." He says sharply. "What about Miss Aeri, who you seem to care so much about? Men stayed behind— not all of them came after you."

My face pales.

They hadn't?

I'm suddenly so freaked out that I can't even talk in a straight line.

"T-T-They didn't? What happened to her?"

"Hyung got to her," He sighs, and I go slack in relief. "But do you understand what I'm trying to say, Miss Rin."

I swallow again. Had Jungkook and that guy hadn't been there, today could've been the last day for both Aeri and I.

My voice is tiny. It's barely audible.