Next-Door Neighbor

RIN

My mother.

She was nearing fifty. A small, petite woman— barely reaching five foot, maybe even smaller than that. On the outside, she looked like she couldn't kill a fly.

But she'd raised me all by herself in the claws of the Underground, with nothing but a old, run-down convenience store. And I hadn't exactly been the perfect child either.

I swallow.

This is why I never made her mad anymore.

I'm completely red from embarrassment, as I fidget with both my arms raised above my head. Jungkook looks like he doesn't know to even start taking in this situation, forced down to his knees on the floor. His eyes flicker wildly in my direction.

I blush harder.

Of course.

He'd never met my mother before.

"Thanks for the explanation," She says, in a tone that doesn't sound grateful in the slightest. Her eyes glance at me.

"And I'm not angry at the fact that you met a guy, Rin. I'm actually very happy. I honestly thought you'd never find one that could keep you in check."

I swallow for the third time, already expecting what's coming.

Her eyes narrow.

"But a runaway assassin from the Skygrounds? And what is this about people trying to kill the both of you and you need shelter? What the fuck have you been doing up there?"

"I should've never sent you. This is my fault."

She sighs sharply to herself as I throw a nasty glare towards Jungkook, who looks back at me with a silent what.

What? What?

You told her freaking everything!

I was starting to second-guess myself that he had been one of the best assassins or whatever back in the Skygrounds. He had spilled everything that I'd wanted to at least keep a secret— from his occupation to how we were being tracked down this very moment.

"You."

"Yes, ma'am." Jungkook murmurs, and my tongue dries even further in my mouth as my mother scowls.

"Did you drag my daughter into your mess?"

No! Tell her no!

I'd literally been the one to drag myself into his life. And if my mother heard that, she would never accept him. Ever. She cared for me too much— she's disown me if I told her I'd marry him.

Which I definitely planned to do in the near future.

"Yes, I did."

You fucking idiot.

"At least you're honest," She says, her arms crossed. "Do you really love her?"

I blink, can't helping my gaze flickering over to his direction.

Jungkook doesn't hesitate.

"I do."

My heart flutters without even knowing it. And this really isn't the time, right now.

He loves me. Jungkook loves me.

"Lee Rin. Wipe that stupid smile off your face before I do it myself."