A Torn Blueprint

AERI

This fucking idiot.

I'd woken up to his gaze. I'd felt his eyes on me— feel all the things that he was feeling, even if I had my own eyes closed to pretend that I was asleep.

I'd felt his uncertainty, slowly change to conflicted guilt.

And I knew exactly the moment that had happened that he would break the promise he had made with me.

I feel his presence fade.

My hands clench into a tight fist underneath the blanket as I keep my eyes closed until I hear the quiet sound of the door closing behind him. A murderous smile tugs up a single corner of my lips.

I was going to kill him. Show up right in front of his eyes in the Underground when he was least expecting it, and slap the shit out of him for trying to sneak away without me.

It is hard to move, with my back like this.

I detach the needles in my forearm with a quick swipe, kicking the blankets away as I push out of bed. Still in my scrubs, I nearly run for the door to go after him.

The moment I fling open the door, I slam straight into someone's chest.

I think I would've broken my nose hadn't hands wrapped around my shoulders just in time, pulling me away in that split second. And I feel the humiliation slowly dawning in bright red hues as I stare up into the eyes of someone who I'd thought had left for sure.

V blinks.

"Aeri, what the— where are you going?"

Shit.

"W-Water." I say, hating the way his expression gradually shifts with realization. He was just too smart not to. "And I needed to use the— um, restroom. Yeah."

He smiles, and it tinges his eyes.

"Aeri, I'd never break a promise with you."

I purse my lips before mumbling a soft I know under my breath. My cheeks are already flushing with a light scarlet as he laughs quietly.

So precious, he seems to hint, as he beckons me back towards the bed. Where were you even planning to go with your scrubs still on?

"So," He starts, his eyes flickering as he crosses his fingers over each other against the sheets. He leans lightly against the edge. "I went to check if you can be released."

My head flips up.

"And?"

He makes a sound at my anticipation.

"They said you had to stay for at least another week. I asked for a possible discharge, but..."

V raises a brow towards the floor. "They said no."

...what?

"I'll sneak out then." I say, meeting his eyes and almost daring him to tell me that he wouldn't be able to take me.

He laughs, before reaching up to touch the top of my head. He slightly shrugs his shoulders.

"I know, love. You think I wouldn't know that already?"