Wrong Half

AERI

One step, in front of another.

The plastic bag hooked between my fingertips rustle— the bottles of lemonade inside clinking against each other. My steps continue to fall, steady and measured.

Someone's trailing me.

I don't know who it is. But it has got to be one of those persistent bastards, and right now I'm too close to where V is.

I intentionally let the bag swing, let it hit against the side of my leg as I walk.

It helps me think. Helps me focus.

And I need to focus.

Gradually, I lead myself away from the small clinic where V sleeps. I walk and walk, running through countless thoughts in my head.

Wishing I had given him a kiss before I'd left.

Knowing, that I wasn't going to get out of this.

But if I couldn't escape, I'd give this fucking bitch the hardest time I could possibly give him.

Slowly, I start to hum under my breath. I even stop for a minute, taking my sweet time to tie the lace of my shoes and open a bottle of lemonade that I was going to give V.

I can almost feel his impatience behind me.

He probably has no idea, that I know. So damn full of himself that he wouldn't ever suspect that he'd get caught.

But he was not part of the Underground.

He was not part of the shadows.

But still.

It's a while before he finally catches on.

I've literally finished my second bottle and hummed through five songs before I finally feel a hand snake around my throat. A foot slams into my calf, and the plastic bag slips from my hand as my legs give.

"Useless bitch. When did you know?"

I can't help the mocking smile that tilts my lips when I'm forced to look up into his masked face. He looks like the stupid Skygrounder— exactly who I thought he was.

I blink sweetly.

"Probably half an hour ago."

His mouth twists. I can see it under his mask.

"Think you're so clever, don't you?" He hisses, and I wince at the smell of gunpowder reeking from his clothes as he bends closer. He whispers, right next to my ear.

"You're the one he wanted anyways."

...what?

Then I feel something sharp against the tender skin of neck. The rush of cold chemical, and the heaviness that hits after.

My eyes flicker. A groan escapes my lips, as he laughs.

"Good night, lo—"

Even I don't expect what happens next.

A brick flies through the air.

In a second, both of us are on the ground. A wave of dizziness washes through me as I palm the ash floor, both stunned and disoriented. My vision hazes.

But through it all, I see that streak of hazel.

"Aeri!"

This has to be a dream.