First Step

AERI

He's not here when I wake again.

And I don't know whether to feel disappointed or relieved. Half of me wishes he was here now, but the other half takes me back to last night.

I flush in embarrassment as I groan softly, pressing my cold fingertips against swollen, red eyes. I can barely open them, with how puffy they are.

But the longing soon overwhelms everything.

I wish he were here.

My gaze sweeps over the empty chair, set next to my bed. Then I look down, at my open palm. My fingers slowly fold in a gentle fist.

I can still feel the traces of his warmth.

Where is he?

The soft morning light coming through the curtains illuminate the room in a faint blue glow. The candle is burnt out from last night, the tip completely smoldered black.

There's no clock in here.

Then the door clicks open. And my eyes widen, expecting V.

But the man who comes in isn't him.

From first glance at his pale coat and glasses perched on top of his nose, I can tell he's a doctor. The nurse besides him is a young woman, her dark hair pinned back in a neat bun.

The doctor is a nice man. He smiles at me, asks me if I'm doing alright. Then he starts telling me about how exactly bad the wound had been.

"The surgery took over half a day, but we were able to get everything out," He says, with a warm smile. "You took a hard hit, Miss Shin. But it all went well."

Then he checks off something from his clipboard, before turning back to me.

"And no worries about the cost. A young gentleman paid for the entire bill. He introduced himself as your guardian."

A pain squeezes through my chest.

Taehyung.

The doctor starts talking again. But my mind is thick of the same clouds from last night. My throat feels knotted, as if I might just burst into crying helplessly again.

I'd never been such a crybaby.

So why was I...

"Where is he?" I murmur.

He glances upwards. "Hm?"

"Do you know where he is?" I repeat, as the nurse adjusts some machines beeping around my bed. "The guy. Who paid for me."

He shakes his head. "I'm not sure, miss. I—"

"He left late at night yesterday," The nurse suddenly interrupts, her brows furrowed. "He looked like he was in a hurry. He may be back today, Miss Shin. The visitor times will open very soon."

In a hurry?

"...thank you." I say. She nods, and the doctor continues his toneless monologue.

Rest is necessary for at least two weeks. Discharge will be possible at around that time, but until then, you must devote yourself completely to healing, Miss Shin. Any excessive physical activity will...

It felt like I was using him.

For his money. His body.

His heart.