Asset

AERI

"I don't like him." Rin declares, the moment she pushes through the door. "He's too quick for his own good. Plus he gets on my nerves."

"Jungkook?"

She nods, slumping on the couch with her legs crossed together. She pushes out her lips.

"He found out I'm illiterate."

My eyes spark. "Did he mock you?"

"No," She growls. "Would've been better if he did, honestly. He had to be all nice and gentlemanly about it, and it made me cringe like a thousand times."

Rin kicks her shoes to the floor.

"Aeri!"

"Let's go to the beach."

And I'm about to agree when the doorbell suddenly rings. My eyes narrow— my mind instantly turning to V.

No way it was him. It had barely been an hour since he'd brought me back here.

It isn't him.

"What is...this?" Rin blinks as she stares down at a wrapped box, decorated elegantly with ribbons and chiffon. She finds another one below the first.

"Think this is for you, Aeri."

I take the cream-colored letter she hands in my direction. The paper is smooth and soft— of the highest quality.

My fingers swiftly cut it open, eyes skimming across the writing.

It's an invitation.

Aeri,

Every year, there is a celebration by the Center Square of the Skygrounds. It's quite a beautiful event— I think you'll enjoy it if you choose to attend.

This takes place tonight.

—V

I really don't understand what he's trying to do with me.

The letter crumples between my fingertips. And my jaw only flexes further when I see Rin open her box. It's a dress— just by a glance I can tell it's made of the most valuable material.

What is he trying to do?

Rein me in, by pulling Rin into this? Tame me with the sweet taste of how rich he was?

My mind runs. This wasn't bad for me— the way he was acting. He was pouring his attention and wealth on me, and this was one of the things I'd aimed for.

But still.

It's unsettling. It makes me anxious, to see the lengths he's willing to go for me. He was treating me like a lost lover, barely found after years of searching.

When I was just a poor, dependent girl who had nearly killed him a few days ago.

Rin's voice, full of suspicion, snaps me back.

"What in the world?" She says, face scrunched as she lifts up the dress. The silken, violet material is sewn with precious stones.