Chapter 06: A Farewell

~2495 words

The cave rumbled violently.

Specks of dust and stones started to fall from the ceiling as the whole place seemed to collapse.

A crack ran along the far corner of the cave followed by a cacophonous boom of an explosion.

My eyes travelled towards Sylvia; the pristine white robes tainted in a deep shade of crimson as blood gushed out profusely. The portal that would lead me outside was killing her, but it was necessary. Although she had been kind to me, I could not stay here forever.

A subtle warm hue permeated from her body, converting into a bright white light. I closed my eyes, the intensity of light dangerously high for the un-augmented eye. The light subsided after a fraction of a second revealing her true form.

She was as the myths described dragons. Four legs with wings. Nothing out of ordinary. However, what differentiated her from the norms established about dragons on earth were her horns that curled downwards.

Her whole body was littered in a golden shade as intricate, masterfully carved runes appeared throughout her whole body. A pained gasp escaped her as another deafening explosion resounded.

"You should hurry up. I have no intention of dying in a squabble that has nothing to do with me", I said in a neutral tone.

Despite the predicament, Sylvia laughed heartily, "Don't be like that. I am sure you have everything to do with who's coming here." She replied as her snout got closer to me.

"At least not yet", I replied and was about to say something else but a stabbing, piercing sensation entered my body as I saw her doing something with my core.

It burned.

It was within my tolerance level but the fact that it burned so much was troubling. My secondary core that was light red right now glistened in a golden aura, a sign forming on it. Like an ancient tree it branched, spreading further until it was covering half of my core.

I looked up to her. Her eyes had lost all its color- literally, the lavender eyes replaced by golden-slit eyes. The runes over her body disappeared. My hand travelled up and caressed her face.

It was cold.

Glacial cold.

Life was already leaving her body.

"My, my, don't touch me like that", she said, the somber smile unable to hide the excruciating pain that her eyes screamed.

"Thanks", I said in a hushed whisper. There were no words needed to exchange. Both of us knew what her current situation was. She would fall here... and I'd live, preparing for what's coming. She left out crucial details, but I understand that was what's necessary for me.

To find the truth behind everything myself.

I looked back at her, removing my hand, "Don't you have something else to ask of me too?" I spoke.

Her eyes widened, "I really can't hide anything from you, can I?"

"You're just awfully expressive", I said shrugging the unrequired compliment. A small spark caused a ripple in space as she took out a shiny object from it. Plucking a feather from her wings she handed both things to me. "Wrap it in my feather. It will hide its mana signature", she spoke in a rushed tone.

Mana signature...

A living, sentient being...

Is this her child?

"I will take care of it", I said, and she gave me a warm smile.

It was almost time.

Turning on my heel, I started walking towards the portal that led out from this collapsing cave.