Chapter 44 - Wren Kain IV

(Arthur Leywin)

Are all humans equal?

That was the question on my mind when I first started my journey towards my new life at ANHS.

The concept of human equality has long been a topic of debate, with opinions and perspectives varying greatly.

When considering whether all humans are truly equal, one's initial thoughts may be conflicted.

At the outset, it may seem reasonable to answer in the affirmative, as all individuals are born with inherent dignity and worth, irrespective of their race, ethnicity, gender, or socio-economic status.

However, upon deeper reflection, the answer to this question may not be as simple as it initially appears.

While it is true that all humans possess an intrinsic value and should be treated with respect and dignity, the reality is that societal factors can create inequalities between individuals.

These may manifest in the form of discrimination, prejudice, or systemic disadvantage, which can impede certain groups' opportunities for success and fulfilment.

Thus, the answer to whether all humans are equal may be nuanced and multifaceted.

While individuals possess a shared humanity and inherent worth, factors such as their upbringing, access to resources, and societal structures can contribute to significant differences in their life outcomes.

Initially, I held the belief that all individuals were born with an inherent equality, and that their subsequent development and life experiences influenced their path.

However, my perspective underwent a profound transformation following my encounter with Sylvia.

In a world teeming with magical phenomena, it appeared that certain individuals were born with exceptional abilities, loved by mana and blessed physiques.

My curiosity led me to delve deeper into the annals of history, and I soon discovered that the inferiority that plagued humanity and became its trademark was rooted in a monopolistic control over the highly coveted mana and aether arts by Asuras.

The dragons, it seems, were a particularly egregious example.

They engaged in an outright act of genocide against a peaceful race, based solely on the flimsy presumption of potential hostility.

Such wanton disregard for the value of life is unfathomable to most rational minds.

Lord Indrath himself appeared to be consumed by an insatiable thirst for knowledge that would grant him greater power.

This relentless pursuit bordered on the verge of obsession, and he was willing to resort to any means necessary to achieve his goals.

Such an unyielding determination may be admirable in some circumstances, but in this case, it proved to be nothing more than a destructive force, leaving countless innocents in its wake.

Despite the Djinns' self-proclaimed status as a peace-loving people, it would be unwise to blindly accept their claims without any corroborating evidence.

Merely relying on their own testimony holds little weight, as it is a well-known fact that self-serving statements are often coloured by bias and subjective perspectives.

While it may sway the emotions of those more susceptible to such appeals, a rational examination of the facts renders such claims highly dubious.

After all, one cannot help but wonder: what ulterior motives might be lurking behind such protestations of innocence?