Chapter 28: Geist BBQ

(Arthur Leywin)

As I watched the princess of the human kingdom, Kathyln Glayder, walk down the steps that led to the wide arena in the classroom, I subtly adjusted my posture in the chair, my focus inevitably captivated by the raven-haired princess who moved with a calculated proficiency befitting her royal grace.

Geist, the instructor of practical mana manipulation, donned a sly grin as he ran his fingers through his locks, poised to make an indelible impact upon the human princess as well as the other girls who sat in the front rows, already carrying a deep-rooted impression of the sly instructor.

As she approached Geist, Kathlyn took out her diminutive wand and directed its tip towards him with a determined countenance and furrowed brow. Her composure remained serene, evidenced by her relaxed shoulders. My interest was piqued, as I leaned in to witness every nuance.

"Do you feel prepared, Princess Kathlyn?" inquired Geist with a smirk, as he positioned himself for battle.

In response, Kathlyn simply nodded meekly, prompting a dense vortex of ice mana to encircle her sleek wand.

Looking at the mana condense around her wand and taking shape, I looked at her expressions. Except for the concentration on the spar/duel, she didn't seem to focus on anything else.

She couldn't multitask.

"Ice shards," I whispered to myself before seeing multiple shards of ice being fired towards Geist.

Despite his unsavoury reputation, Geist held the esteemed position of a professor at the most prestigious institutions of magic and was a seasoned adventurer. As her attack approached, he was surrounded by orbs of incandescent orange flames that spiralled around him, fiercely colliding with the shards of ice.

The impact generated a dense shroud of mist that obscured their presence, masking their sight from students with lower mana-core levels.

Looking at the raven-haired princess, a translucent dome formed around her.

Mages were divided into two categories in Dicathen---Augmenters and Conjurers. While the difference between them slowly vanishes as they advance their cores, it is not always the same.

Augmenters and Conjurers were limited; hence no one was superior to the other.

Augmenters depended on body augmentation and thus their defence and offence were both physical.

As for Conjurers, their offence and defence both were conjurer phenomena. Taking in mana from surroundings and then shaping the cell using a deep-rooted knowledge of the spell for offence and since they could never augment their bodies enough to protect themselves, they had to conjure mana shields infused with the property of their magical attribute.

Conjuring a protective veil so late in the fight was hazardous. If it was a serious fight, she would've been dead. It spoke volumes about the princess's personality.

Being aware of the fact that almost everyone would become her friend because of her stature she adopted the emotionless facade. And to keep everyone away one just does not need to act like that.
Having the necessary power was also crucial. 

As I gazed downward, Geist's power prevailed over Kathyln's magic and he drew nearer. Ice spikes materialised from the thin air, causing the temperature of ambient water molecules to plummet, inducing crystallisation. Geist lifted his hand aloft and cast a spell skyward, summoning a colossal fireball that fragmented into smaller incendiary projectiles hurtling towards Kathyln---akin to a meteor shower.

As I observed Geist, his countenance displayed a profound sense of hopelessness and despair.

The spell he was invoking was of an intricate nature, possessing an irreversibility once manifested which meant it could not be cancelled once conjured.