Chapter 36: Windsom.

(Arthur Leywin)

Standing on the edge of the entrance that led to the teleportation portal, I stood still. The unexpected turn of events had left me reeling, struggling to process what had just occurred. 

Arisu was never the one to be predicted that easily. Even I had to think of multiple probabilities to actually know what she was going to do. While I was aware of her feelings that had begun to change drastically after my regular visits to her room at night over the course of our multiple games of chess and plannings for the incoming war, I never predicted her to act like this. 

Her departure in the carriage that had brought us here was a poignant reminder of the distance that now lay between us.

With a hand pressed against my cheek, I continued to gaze in the direction of her departure until the carriage was no longer visible. It was then that her words echoed in my mind, "Marked... me... huh?" The ambiguity of her statement left me with more questions than answers.

The surroundings provided no solace either, for I found myself surrounded by a dense forest of towering trees whose branches intertwined to form a canopy that barely let any sunlight penetrate through as only a few streaks permeated through them. 

As I stood there, lost in thought, the sound of rustling leaves caught my attention. Turning my head, I saw a small creature darting through the undergrowth, its sleek body barely visible amidst the shadows. I shook off the sense of unease and took a step towards the teleportation portal. Taking a deep breath, I stepped through the portal, feeling a sudden rush of energy course through my body as I was whisked away to my next destination. 

The presence that I always felt around me, probing and observing me, felt even nearby. The warping space around me changed, the sequence of transportation disrupted as I was detracted from my current destination. The damaged, tunneled teleportation phenomenon came to an absolute halt as I found myself falling down. Being a white core, I was able to land on my feet deftly, but I looked around quickly. 

The one who was observing me was finally showing itself. The fact that I didn't bring Sylvie with me seemed like a correct decision after all. 

A tactile veil of mana spread out from a single source as it extended and weighed down on my shoulders. Like a titanic mountain being placed on my shoulders, I felt the full weight of the intent from the individual. Using a veil of mana of my own, I resisted it as I stood up, my back straight. 

"Dawn." I whispered as the tether of connection between Dawn and me tightened. She didn't appear from my dimensional storage ring, but she remained ready to attack at command. Any sort of hostility from the individual and Dawn was allowed to attack.  

"Interesting. You are able to stand up despite being a lesser." A sudden, gruff voice said followed by the subtle echo of boots against the smooth marbling of the separate space I had arrived in. The environment changed completely, replaced by a lustrous white light in all directions. 

Lesser. 

A term once uttered by Sylvia but she soon hid it, not wanting to say it in front of me. 

So, it was true. He really is a dragon. And from what I see, dragons see humans as a race inferior to them. 

"A dragon?" I spoke to myself. 

"Oh, so you are aware. By my friends and brethren, I go by Windsom. To you, lessers, we are what you have deemed as deities."  

"Deemed? Are you not?" I asked, keeping my back straight and my eyes dead set on him. 

He was a tall man with military uniform, cropped blond hair and galaxy-like eyes.