Chapter 23: Legacies. Plural

~3200 words

// Arthur Leywin //

Shifting my body's weight a bit to the right, I let the huge hammer land just a few centimetres away from my toes.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Jasmine cleaving the beasts in rapid succession as one after another foe that approached her fell to the ground with audible thuds.

The hammer that landed close to me was lifted once again as the orc attacked me with a horizontal swing.

Bending backwards, I let the hammer whistle past me. The narrow gap that appeared in between his defences while his hammer was still mid-swing allowed me to close the distance.

Augmenting my fingertips in the form of elongated pure mana claws, I dashed towards it. My arm extended and stabbed the right side of its chest.

Orcs' physiology was similar to humans to a large extent. However, the location of the heart in Orcs was on the right. The skin tore open as my fingers touched the rapidly pumping heart of the Orc. Crushing it in my grip, I receded my hand and let the limp body fall to the ground.

The multiple other goblins that were attacking Jasmine all stopped as they looked at him. The look of fear in their eyes was evident as they saw the huge, abnormally-sized Orc fall to the ground—devoid of life. 

A green light flashed behind them followed by razor-sharp blades of wind, decapitating every goblin.

"Woah."

"Those two are something else."

"It's not even a challenge at this point."

Murmurs of appreciation echoed from everywhere.

We were currently in an A-Ranked dungeon. The dungeon was located at the border of Beast Glades and Elshire Forest.

The prospect of investigating the bewitched mist of the Elven Forest had always intrigued me. However, now wasn't the time for such things. Although I was sure there was more to the mist than just a normal phenomenon.

Jasmine started to walk towards me, swinging her blades in an arc, getting rid of the foul-smelling goblin blood. The other three people in our party started collecting the Beast Cores while one of them began the preparation to eat something.

However, there was something that kept me on my toes. An ominous premonition.

Mana.

It was moving. Not naturally. But it wasn't just mana. It was something else disguised in a veil of mana. A feeling similar to whenever I use the fifth purple element.

"AHHHHHHHHH."

A blood-curdling scream tore through the man's throat who was collecting beast cores. Looking in his direction I saw a metallic talon impaled through his chest.

"Fall back and get into formations." Jasmine was the first to compose herself.

The death of one of them wasn't what got on my nerves. The responsibility of one's life solely lies with the person in question itself. What made my hair stand on its edge was the behaviour of the beast that had suddenly appeared.

Even after killing the man, it wasn't looking at the victim. Its crimson red eyes looking right at me. Like a hungry predator looking at its prey after days of hunger.
Once again I could feel the mana crawling from every dark corner as more and more mana signatures flared to life.

Something was definitely wrong. First the Blind Spriggans and now these. The closer the dungeons get to the border of the Elshire Forest, the amount of abnormality in these mysterious beasts increases.