Chapter 31 - Humbling Lucas

(A/n) Didn't knew we are so close to hitting 5k votes. Yayy.

(Arthur Leywin Pov)

Walking through the bright, sun-lit hallways, I made my way towards one of the advanced classes.

While this was not customary, I was allowed to take classes from upper courses which first years generally don't have access to. The reason being was because I asked Director Goodsky for it. Spending time in lower classes was not beneficial at all. In fact, it was an utter waste of time.

As things stood, time was the last thing I wanted to waste.

There was something off-putting about the coming war.

I had never participated in such an activity. It was an entirely new challenge for me. I could just not participate or defect to another continent if I deemed it necessary in my favour. However, the ramifications for doing this were unclear.

"Papa? I can sense Tessia." Sylvie whispered in my ear, still sitting on my shoulders.

Ever since my departure from Elenoir and coming to this school, I hadn't talked to Tessia even a single time.

Walking straight, I finally reached a huge wooden door. Placing my hand on the handle, I pulled it.

The door opened, revealing a vast open field. Students sat on the benches around the field and some of them stood in the middle. Looking around I saw Tessia, looking down, gloom looming over her like a palpable veil.

Sylvie jumped from my shoulder and ran over to her. Reaching near her feet, she stopped and got on her previous two legs, letting out an audible coo.

Tessia blinked her eyes several times before finally recognizing her, "Sylvie!" She said and scooped her up. The other students watched her in wonder, as the cold vice-president who always carried a wall around her now seemed so open...

...vulnerable.

As if she had heard my thoughts, she turned around, her crystalline emerald eyes looking straight into mine, "Arthur..."

"Tess." I replied with a stern nod.

An array of complex emotions flickered across her face, conveying a sense of uncertainty, anticipation, and perhaps even a hint of anger. Yet, as if emerging from a fog, a small, subtle smile gradually illuminated her features, casting a warm glow upon her face.

"Nice to meet you, Arthur," she intoned, her voice carrying a melodic quality that hinted at a depth of emotion beneath the surface. "After so long, finally," she added, her words infused with a sense of relief and contentment that seemed to stem from a long-awaited reunion.

"Vice-president... are you perhaps acquainted with--"

"Not again, Clive," She said and sighed looking away from him, impatience leaking from her tone, "not now," she said and dragged me away.

Looking back, I saw Clive's stern face scrunch up.

An exasperated sigh escaped from within me as I pondered the unfortunate predicament I found myself in once again.

Despite my conscientious endeavours to steer clear of any complications or difficulties, I seemed to be incessantly embroiled in troublesome circumstances, as though it were an immutable fate beyond my control.

This repetitive pattern of unwarranted chaos left me feeling slightly disheartened and dispirited, as though I was incapable of evading the constant barrage of unfavourable events that plagued my life.

As Tessia dragged me towards the secluded corner of the stands, far from the inquisitive, prying gazes of the crowd, I inquired, "Did you want to talk about something?"