Chapter 51 - His Return

A thin veil of silence loomed over the forest as the three figures looked at each other. 

Arisu took a step forward and bent on her knees, coming to eye level of the boy named Ethan. His hair colour was like the ash after a volcano eruption that cascaded all the way down on his face and just above his eyes. His eyes were bright vermillion, shining with an unbridled love and affection for Arisu. 

Coming closer, Arisu wrapped her arms around Ethan and pulled him into a hug, "You've grown so much." She spoke in his ear as he giggled, hugging her back. 

"Are you finally going to take Ethan with you?" Mordain asked as a grim look appeared on Arisu's face. 

"Yes, I have to." She replied, standing up as she held Ethan's hand. 

Mordain let out a long sigh, his eyes focused nowhere. It was like he was staring at something no one else could, in a far-off distance, "You know, all those years ago when you accidently stumbled into Alba's abode when she was dying, we never knew you would become so involved with us." He said, his words carrying a certain hint of melancholy in them. 

"There was nothing you could do anyways. Her fate was sealed anyways." Arisu replied, pulling Ethan close to her. 

"Its all the dragons fault," Mordain seethed through his teeth, his rage manifesting in the form of a tactile veil of flames around him as the foliage beneath him began to sear and wither away. He looked at Arisu and then at Ethan from the corner of his eyes as the bubbling rage cooled down, extinguishing the flames. 

"Well at least we got Ethan out of it. Even though Alba would never be able to reincarnate again, she was able to pass her will to me." Arisu said and Ethan looked up to Arisu with confusion, tilting his head. 

"What do you mean by that, mama?" 

Arisu looked down at him, a neutral look on her face, "You will know once we go home." 

"But we are home." 

"No. Not this. Your new home." Arisu replied and the little asura's eyes turned teary. A sour look appeared on Mordain's face as he looked at her, "Are you sure you want to place so much trust in that boy, little one?" He asked, this time with a honeyed, gentle timber. 

"Better depend on him than to go against him. I told you before, didn't I?" Arisu asked as Mordain raised his eyebrows, "It will all end as he wants." 

"Placing so much trust in one person. That is definitely not like you, Arisu. That was the sole reason we decided to confide in you with our secrets." Mordain complained, his brows creased together in an expression that teetered on the brink of a fusion between ire and concern.

"You have yet to meet him. When you do... you'll understand." Arisu replied with a smirk and turned away, pulling Ethan with her. Mordain's hand stretched forward but his fingers curled, restraining his own self, "We will see about that." He whispered, muffled by the violent breeze that blew past him and scooped up the charred remains of leaves underneath his feet, lifting it up with itself before he disappeared.

(***) 

"Where were you... and what is that on your shoulder?" Kathyln asked as she spotted Arisu with a bird on her shoulder, its orange, red and golden feathers glittering. 

"Oh? This is a mana beast I found injured an year ago. I visit it every now and then." 

"Visit? Is it not your bond?" Kathyln inquired, a metaphorical question mark appearing over her head. 

"Well, it is now." Arisu replied with a smug smile, showing her arm where the proof her bondage was.

Kathyln came forward and tried to pet its head but Ethan flew up, landing on Arisu's head as it tried to hide itself in the make-shift nest on her head.