Chapter 24: Birthday Party

(A/n) A quick note for people who read the author's note but didn't get what I mean. The Dire Tombs dungeon.... Kiyo and Arisu didn't participate in it because it was too low for them. SO, they just chilled and didn't do more dungeons after the previous one.  

This chapter is the start of Xyrus Academy Arc)

(Arthur Leywin Pov)

Standing in front of the mirror in my room I looked back at my reflection. 

Today was my sister---Ellie's birthday. 

The mellow sounds of piano playing downstairs reached my ears as I was looking into the mirror. 

Hustle and bustle due to people pouring inside the mansion caused a rising wave of noise before crashing down as they continued to settle down.

Opening my eyes, I looked at myself again. The clothes I was wearing somewhat resembled to the funeral clothes back on earth, but it didn't matter much. Since, the norms of people on earth and in this world were quite different.

Speaking of which, the reason why I am in this world is still a mystery to me. My encounter with the ethereal people who called themselves djinn remnants in my last dungeon dive solidified my theory of multiple races fighting for dominance. 

The way they interacted led down to one main point---They hated dragons. 

The closed lip conversation about me having someone else's essence and reluctance to trust me between them was pretty obvious. However, I still couldn't put my finger on the exact reason. 

The mana around my dimensional storage ring swirled as a huge opaque-obsidian box appeared in my palm. The outer structure was slippery smooth. 

Unnaturally so.

Holding it with bare hands seemed hard enough. But it was impossible to even hold it in place for a slight second when I augmented my hand with mana. Like how like forces repel each other, the cuboid relic jumped from my hand and fell on the floor, sliding seamlessly until it was stopped by the closed door. 

I sighed, feeling exhausted at the weird phenomenon. It was supposed to powered by something that was similar to mana yet so different. Letting the mana dispel, I bent down and picked up the cube. It was slippery at first but fell into my grip just fine. Closing my eyes, I focused onto the cube. However, instead of the regular focus I let myself and my consciousness be guided inside the cube. Like feeling everything about it. Mana was useless. Using mana would just result in a backlash. If mana wouldn't work, then what would? Thinking over arsenal, the only thing that came to mind was the purple mote. 

It was inherently different than the other motes of mana. While the red, orange, green and blue were exclusive to their respective elements of fire, earth, wind and water---the purple speck was something entirely different.

From its composition to its abilities, the rigid nature how it didn't move despite the repeated attempts, one thing was clear.

This can be the higher form of mana.

While not being anything remotely closer to mana, it still had its uses. The correlation of this speck of mana to Sylvia's will clear a few things. The dragons were no joke. They had reality warping abilities which included Time and Space influence.

While I could do this after just a few years of practice, dragons with their extended lifespan could be a major hurdle moving forward. 

So, can this purple mote help me understand this cube of knowledge entrusted to me by the ancient mages?