Chapter 10: Progression (Time-Skip)

Play this while reading... I am serious (-_____-) ]

*********** 4 years later **************

Tension lingered in the air like a static mist. 

The lingering veil of tension was suffocating, like an acidic miasma, making everyone stand on their tiptoes.

The lofty trees extended upwards and then bent inwards, forming a semi-canopy letting a meagre amount of sunlight illuminate the ground below in a sphere shape without any interruptions. Multiple other streaks of sunlight made their way towards the field, passing through the narrow passageways between the interlinked branches.

Standing across Arthur (kiyotaka) were three individuals. 

Virion stood in a battle stance, the grip over his wooden sword tightening. Aya was already fading away in a translucent mist. A wary look was plastered over her perfectly sculpted face, her black hair tied back in a high pony while her obsidian eyes kept track of every twitch in his muscle. 

In a far corner, Alea stood looking at Arthur with concern. 

"Is it really okay for all of us to compete against him? I get he's strong but isn't this too much?" Alea spoke, directing Virion. 

"Don't get deceived by his cute face. He's a demon incarnate", Aya spoke as her figure completely disappeared from the battlefield. 

Alea looked at Virion and then at Arthur who was just standing with his hands tucked inside his pants pockets. Slowly drawing them out he let out a tired sigh, "I am just an ordinary human." 

A scoff escaped Virion's mouth as he directed the tip of his wooden sword towards Arthur, "If normal humans were like you, Elenoir would've fallen 100 times over", Virion said and coated himself in a thick layer of mana. Mana clung to him like a second skin, hardening his defenses. 

Alea was still standing in the far corner, unperturbed by the warnings given by Virion and Aya. 

Virion kept his eyes on Arthur as his left foot dig inside the ground, his back bending forward. 

Lightning crackled all around him. Fire mana turned into its deviant form. The particles in the air thrummed, producing an eerie beat. Like air itself was foreshadowing something. Something ominous. 

Virion's eyes were fixed on Arthur. He merely blinked and he disappeared. Despite his senses knowing where he was, his body remained fixed in its position. Then Arthur's image from his eyes began to vanish. His perception being countered by his incomprehensible speed. 

Dashing past Virion, Arthur arrived in front of Alea. His sapphire eyes met Teal ones which widened in disbelief. 

"You're first", his hushed whisper was like sonic boom upon her ears. Vines shot up like a series of programmed explosions from the ground, acting like a natural defense for her. Just as she thought the attack stopped, a hand clad in ice with sweltering blue flames bypassed her plant magic defenses. Cutting through it like butter his hand reached for her face. 

*Clangggg*

A loud sound echoed, followed by a crack in the ground. Virion's sword blocked Arthur's augmented claw, a frustrated look over his face. He looked back, over his shoulders, "Get yourself together, Alea", Virion barked at her. Snapping out of her daze, she jumped back, creating a huge distance between herself and Arthur. Arthur's grip over the bladed end of Virion's sword tightened as it broke under the force of phenomenal amounts of mana clashing from opposite sides.