Chapter 『59』- How To Train Your Tool-- Uhm, Lances

Arthur Leywin

The tip of the glacial cold ice sword extended and passed just a mere centimeter away from my eye, severing a lock of my hair as I stepped to the side. Varay's brown eyes focused on me, twitching in a thinly veiled look of annoyance as she spun her torso and swung her sword downward. The ice sword formed a visible arc, leaving a trail of snowflakes in it's wake as it came crashing down at me. Switching my chest to left, I softly brought Dawn up, blocking her ice sword. 

"Your technique is refined. Just needs a little polishing," I spoke, and I could feel her even more annoyed than before. Was it because I wasn't a lance? Well, that would make sense that a person of high stature would not like to be lectured by someone as ordinary and average as me. 

Before she could talk, a bolt of lightning came from behind me in a straight trajectory. Bending my back backwards, I kicked Varay in her gut and made some distance between us before backflipping away from the yellow bolt of light. As I landed on the tip of my feet, I saw the attacker's face next to me --- Blonde hair and green eyes --- Bairon Wykes. "You're fast." I spoke as he smirked. A spear made of pure lightning manifested in his hand as he attacked me with it. While its tip seemed more similar like a trident, the general structure of it was like a spear. As the spear came closer to my chest, I kicked his elbow joint. His brows furrowed at the impact as I had augmented my feet with quite a lot of mana. His hold over the spear weakened for a moment. Taking advantage of the moment, I spun and was about deliver a roundhouse a kick to his face, but a vine erupted from the ground, tying around my ankle as it pulled me into the air.

Alea Triscan, I noted. 

Her plant magic had gotten significantly stronger than before. Not only was her imagination in using it had improved but the strength of the vines themselves had improved. Using basic fire wasn't going to burn it. And the volume had doubled from the last time I had faced her in Elenoir. 

Siphoning a little more mana from my secondary core, I felt the wind whoosh around me. The wind blew, my hair brushing against my face as a blade of wind mana manifested and severed the vine that had been holding me into place. Twisting my body like a cat, I landed on my feet safely and in a near instant dashed towards her, arriving in front of her, I plunged Dawn towards her sternum. The sword pierced her abdomen and her features turned murky before vanishing away in thin mist. 

"My, my, look at little Arthur all grown up." 

Aya. 

Her illusion magic was actually troublesome as if she imbued more mana into her illusions, I will lose track of what is real and what's not. Just as I was trying to search here and there for her, two huge hands made of earth picked me up from the ground. Using mana to augment only the little portion of my body, I looked back. It was a magma knight made by the dwarven lance --- Olfred. Water mana coiled around the magma knight like little, thin swirls of water streams and the temperature started to drop at a rapid rate. Augmenting my arms, I jerked them, and the mediocre knight crumbled to pieces. 

Bending lower, I brought my head to my knee level and dodged a shimmering arc of an ice sword from Varay. 

"Ridiculous." She mumbled under her breath, and I could see her biting her lip. Pushing the ground beneath my boots and exploding pure mana, I once again arrived in front of her but once again she was saved as Bairon's lightning struck my back while Alea's vine hit where my liver was, making me crash into the wall. The impact was rock hard and I could feel my internal organs all racked up. The place where the vine had struck me thrummed with pain as it swelled up. The wall in which I crashed had huge splinters running across it like a cobweb. 

  "Ahhh. You got me there." I spoke as I rose up from the rubble. The technique I as testing against the Lances was something I had used before in a single one-on-one duel against the Legacy--- Cecelia, but against multiple opponents, this strategy seemed to have its obvious drawbacks. The technique involved a simple yet effective method. In this technique I had to avoid augmenting my whole body with mana. But instead, only augment the part of body in direct contact during the fight. Using the presence of two mana cores inside my body, I could divide the flow of mana and make it swift. For example, while delivering a punch, I can compact mana into my fist alone instead of the whole arm. This results in an explosive force upon contact, much more potent than conventional augmentation.