Chapter 15: A White-Haired Beauty

// Kiyotaka Ayanokouji (Arthur Leywin) //

The door of my room opened slightly as a small figure came inside.

It was my little sister---Eleanor or Ellie as we all prefer to call her. Her short ashen hair which she inherited from Reynolds was tied in two pigtails. A small blush extended on her face as she came inside. However, a look of confusion formed on her slightly chubby face as she tilted her head to understand what was going on.

I was exercising---or more accurately standing on my right hand's index finger without mana so I don't become too dependent on it. Seeing the baffled expression over her face, I jumped and landed on my feet. My hair was now long enough to reach below my eyes. Brushing them back with my fingers I made my way towards my sister.

Reaching close to her, I sat down and looked her in the eyes. She fiddled and seemed a bit shy to converse as she held the side of her dress. Placing my finger in front of her face, I conjured a small gust of wind as her hair fluttered wildly. An ecstatic, innocent giggle left her mouth as she held my hand. "Bwuhder. Mama is calling you", she said.

With a subtle nod I stood up and started to walk towards the door. However, I stopped and looked back. Extending my hand towards my sister I waited for her. Soon she caught up and wrapped her fingers around my pinky, gripping it firmly. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she looked up at me.

Maybe I am acting as a brother should. Maybe...

Letting Ellie guide me, we made our way through the stairs. Just as we finished the flight of stairs, I was met with the sight of mom setting up the table so we can all eat together. Tabitha Helstea was helping mom with minor work as most of work was handled by maids. I looked around and saw Sylvie, napping on one of the couches.

'Morning', she spoke through our bond.

'Morning. How are you?', I asked. She seemed unusually tired.

'Just a bit tir-'

"Swyvieeee!"

'Uh-oh, not again.'

The realization of her tiredness so early in the morning finally dawned on me as I saw my little sister grip Sylvie in a lock and started spinning her around. We shared an open bond to report any incongruity happening around us in a near instant. So, the moment Ellie started spinning her I closed it. She shot me a glare, but I shrugged my shoulders and made my way towards the table.

On one side were my parents while the Helsteas sat on the opposite side of the table. I noticed Vincent wasn't sitting where mostly family heads used to sit, indicating his consideration for my family.

"Arthur? Do you have anything planned for today?" Mom asked, as she handed me a plate full of her signature beef stew. Receiving the plate in both my hands, I placed it down.

"Nothing much. Dad said he'd show me around", I replied as I took a bite from beef. The taste was even better than the usual, exciting my buds with a plethora of flavors from different spices. Maybe the subtle brightening of my face gave it away as Alice giggled, "You can have more later."

'I want some too!' Sylvie spoke, still being strangulated by Ellie.

'I'll save some', I replied back as she got busy with Ellie again. Looks like she has come to terms with being rag dolled around. I looked to my side to see dad exchanging hidden glances at me. He never said he'd show me around. Although I knew if I said I had no plans I would be dragged into something far more dangerous than fighting mana beasts---Shopping.

Yes... it scares me to no end. It's not a literal fear or something that would make a person's senses spike and activate their instincts. No... it isn't that, but the amount of exhaustion scares me. Women's sudden mood swings while shopping scares me. And most of all... being a mannequin for them scares me.