Prelude: Arisu Watsken. The Beast Core project.

~3500 words

"This place screams sketchy." Arisu commented as she walked down a steep flight of stairs, with minimal space to fully step on. She was wearing her usual attire, a pure white dress that cascaded well below her knees. Flowing downwards, it accentuated her growing body as it completely tightens around her waist and then expand and become loose below the waist. The sleeves started from below her elbow, leaving her smooth shoulders exposed.  The sound of her black heels echoed in the thin pathway as she took another step downwards.  

"I think it is pretty calm in here

"I think it is pretty calm in here." Arthur replied, walking in front of her with his hands tucked in his pockets, his shoulders relaxed while Sylvie sat on his head, her eyes half closed. She yawned and shifted cozily, shutting her eyes completely. Arthur was wearing a simplistic dress with just a simple shirt and jeans. His shoes were flat, and his steps made no sound. If Arisu wasn't looking at him, she could never have guessed if he was there. His mana signature was like that of a dead person, totally imperceptible.  

"You find calm in the most eerie things

"You find calm in the most eerie things." Arisu complained and got a bit closer to him as she looked around, taking in her surroundings. The humidity wafting from the raw, bricked walls was almost tangible, forming a layer of humidity all over her body. The air was thick with a smell that she couldn't put her finger on. It wasn't putrid or foul, but something that made her breathing shallow. 

"Maybe our standards do not match." Arthur replied with a shrug as he looked over his shoulder. His eyes landed on Arisu who was looking around with a troubled expression, wiping the little beads of sweat on her face that originated from her forehead and travelled seamlessly along the contours of her nose before finally dropping down on the thinly cemented stairs below from her chin. 

"That much is obvious by now." Arisu grumbled, rolling her eyes. She stumbled to the side as she balanced herself by extending her hands to the either side, taking support from the walls and balanced herself. "The stairs are too small!" She let out a squeal, complaining about the route they were travelling through.

"Quite a bold statement from someone so short. I thought the stair size would fit your small feet." Arthur retaliated, raising his shoulders in exaggerated manner, keeping his usual stoic face as he walked down the stairs with a relative ease. He moved to the side, avoiding Arisu's attempt at pushing him as he raised a brow. "I would've died if you had actually pushed me."