Chapter 22: Odd Infatuation

// Arthur Leywin (Kiyotaka Ayanokouji) //

The flame gained strength as I added another twig to the bonfire set-up in the middle of our camps.

Ever since coming to this world, I have taken every decision with utmost care and diligence. However, the severity of the situation made me reconsider the method of planning.

The comprehension of people as to there are only four elements was wrong. As I could already see the fifth element and utilise it to a meagre amount—-this alone described how little the people of Dicathen knew about magic.

However, now there was something else. Another mote of mana. The presence of Spriggans alone was an idiosyncratic phenomenon. But the presence of a rune and sickly green mana was what made it even more troublesome.

There existed other species. Or races. Just like Sylvia—-dragons. The ominous, uncanny feeling that I get every time Arisu uses her magic and now this green mana. Coupled with the fact that Sylvia was afraid and running away from someone, everything points in one direction.

An internal war between Deities or Asuras as they prefer themselves to be called.

Shaking my head to get rid of these thoughts for now, I looked up. Jasmine and Arisu talked to each other, sitting on the opposite side from me. The flame flickered, distorting the vision of the world across it.

A minute smile wrapped in an innocent sincerity tugged at the corner of Jasmine's thin lips as she continued her 'talk' with Arisu.

Not wanting to butt into their conversation, I sat just in front of them and hovered my hands above the bonfire, absorbing the heat from it. My mind travelled to something vital.

My primary core.

It has been years since I've used it in combat.

There was a reason behind this. And it was that my primary core couldn't be used in combat—-not until I'm done with what I was planning.

The basic hypothesis was to grant my body a constant exposure to mana. Augmenting the joints first followed by every basic layer that formed a human.

Insides of bones, outer covering, joints, tissues, muscles, ligaments... arteries and veins.

Body Augmentation— it was a term related to coating the outer region of the body in a sheen of mana that could vary in intensity. However, there was no research or data about inner augmentation.

Why would someone augment their body only during combat? What if the danger is faster than the perception? What if the enemy kills you before you're able to augment yourself?

Once you're dead, there's nothing you could do. Quite ironic coming from me, however this was the bitter truth.

The solution entailed proper precautions. For the body to be permanently resistant to sudden attack... enough to not die from a surprise attack.

The restraints on my primary core loosened. Dividing my focus, I kept the mana exposure strictly to the inside, not letting even a single drop of mana to leak outside the purlieus of my body.

It was a toilsome task, requiring every last bit of my concentration. The mana had to remain inside. The basic idea for this was to circulate mana subconsciously—like blood being pumped naturally.

The sensation of mana being circulated internally invaded me. Like hot, serrated knives gnawing at my insides, I felt the warm yet harrowing sensation orbit my entire body.

Blood seemed to boil while bones felt like cracking from intense exposure of mana. The muscles tore apart and then mended themselves back—-with the aid of my high core stage and Sylvia's will.