3: 'Working 9 till 5...'

I smooth down my pale pink scrubs with a tired smile on my face and adjust the reindeer antlers on my head. I was still feeling unbearably sick, but I decided I needed to put my big girl pants on and go back to work.

I rub my eyes as I head into one of my favourite residents' rooms, I know I wasn't technically supposed to have favourites, but I just couldn't resist.

'Merry Christmas Eve!' I chirp, the second his eyes meet mine.

His brown eyes widen, 'Scarlett! I was beginning to worry that you quit.'

I shake my head, 'Don't worry, you aren't getting rid of me that easily.'

'Good because you're one of the only ones I can tolerate around here.'

'Arlo! You shouldn't be saying things like that.'

He chuckles loudly before letting out a small cough, 'I'm too old for bullshit.'

I roll my eyes softly before I clap my hands together, 'So, tell me has anything else happened with Doris since I've been gone?'

The grey-haired man eyes me up, 'How do you know about that?'

'I have eyes, I saw the way you two were flirting at bingo last week.'

'Sweetheart, I think you forget my age sometimes. I don't flirt.'

I shrug, 'Why not?'

'B-Because don't you think it would look rather silly, this old fossil flirting?'

'It wouldn't look silly at all! And you aren't an old fossil, you are still very handsome. Don't doubt yourself!'

Arlo grins at me before shaking his head, 'Let's just say hypothetically, I was flirting although I do prefer the word courting. Do you think that Doris was reciprocating?'

'Oh definitely!'

'I-I was actually thinking about asking her to go on a walk around the garden later.'

I perk up immediately, 'That sounds like a wonderful idea!'

'Well, I'm still thinking about it. I don't want to embarrass myself if she says no.'

 'I know it can feel embarrassing to get rejected but I always remind myself that I wouldn't fall in love with every person I encounter, so it isn't their fault if they don't feel the same way.'

'You've got a wise head on your shoulders kid.'

My cheeks flush slightly, 'I do, don't I?'

'Well, what about you?'

'What about me?'

Arlo laughs slightly, 'Well, do you have any handsome chaps in your life?'

'N-No not at the moment.'

'It seems like you hesitated there for a second.'

I let out a loud sigh, 'Well there kind of is one boy, but we're just friends. A-And he's recently got a girlfriend which has made everything feel extremely complicated.'

'If I've learned anything in my life is that love shouldn't be complicated. It's too damn short for complicated.'

I nod slowly, 'I'll bare that in mind.'

'You know, I do have a grandson roughly your age, he's called Robert.'

I laugh loudly, 'Thank you very much but I think I just need to focus on graduating high-school.'

'That's a good attitude to have, education should always come first. You know I was actually one of the first people in my family to go to college. My father thought it was a waste of time, he wanted me to go and work for him. But I refused, he was pissed at first but when he realised how much money I was bringing home, he quickly changed his tune.'