25

"Later this week I'll be at the General's matchmaking event."

Rory's head began to spin when she heard Decha.

"I'll be pretty busy, so if you need anything, be sure to ask Jessica. Even while I'm away, the same rules apply. Eat your meals, get rest, and drink the tea that my mother gives you. It's going to snow, so don't go outside, unless you have a jacket. You need to continue your medical examinations while I'm away—"

"I thought you said you weren't interested in the program." Rory interrupted him. She stopped listening to him after he mentioned the event.

"I'm not." Decha pressed his lips together and narrowed his eyes.

"So... why?" Rory felt heartbroken. Honestly, after he saved her the other night, she felt closer to him. She hadn't felt this way about a guy since she was a kid, and now it felt like he was being taken away from her.

She felt ashamed of herself. She reasoned that she could keep her crush to herself. As long as it didn't hurt Decha, she should be okay. It was just a small crush. She wasn't going to ever act on it.

She'd never. If her father was still out there, he'd be livid to find out that she was thinking of a General in that way.

There was no problem to marry an Astellian because she was aware of the laws that allowed Bracketers and Astellians to do so. But romancing a General was almost like a death sentence.

"Is it a problem for me to work now?" Decha leered at her. Rory felt relieved. He was only going to work.

"No. Not at all."

"Great. Then don't ask about it."

"Are you still going to test the gloves I gave you?"

"I think I can manage them on my own for now. If there's an issue, I'll be sure to let you know." Decha dismissed her. Before he could walk away, Rory asked him another question.

"Can't I at least see if they fit you?"

"They fit."

"I want to make sure."

Decha pulled the gloves out of his pockets and put them on. Then he waved it in front of her face with an annoyed expression. Rory giggled at him and grabbed onto his hands.

"You're wearing them wrong." She grabbed the hem of the glove and turned it around. "The padding is supposed to go where your palms are, and the screen goes on the back of your hand. Remember, it enhances your grip."

Rory fiddled with the fabric a few more times before putting her hand in his. She rolled his fingers around the side of her hand, forming a handshake. "See? Grasp onto mine."

Decha did as he was told.

"If you adjust the settings here, you'll be able to stick to solid walls depending on what material it is. They're magnetic, and I constructed them with materials to grab onto brick too. Brick always cuts the skin but with this, it won't be able to." Rory smiled at him. "I'm going to pull my hand away, try and stop me."

"Are you sure?" Decha smirked at her. Even without using the glove's special perks, he had a very heavy grip.

"Yeah." Rory tried to tug her hand away, but Decha barely budged. She pulled again, and this time Decha relaxed his grip slightly because he didn't want to hurt her. But he still held on and watched as she struggled.

"Wow, these gloves really work!" Rory groaned.

"Don't strain yourself," Decha voiced, amused. He released her, and Rory tumbled away, and Decha quickly latched onto her back before steadying her back on her feet. He yanked her close and looked down to make sure she was standing straight. "Your invention works, no need to prove it."