46

"All of you need to take one more step to your left. Spread out." Decha motioned with his hands. Theodore had sent a large group of Agents to Council Hall where Decha could enforce security. The line of Generals followed his order and all moved aside, making the line wider.

"Don't let anyone through. Don't let anyone loiter around this perimeter. If you see or hear of any suspicious activity, let me know. Only the Council Members and chosen employees who work in the main office are permitted to enter and leave." Decha paced down the line of men, eyeing every single Agent fiercely.

"Check the IDs of everyone who walks through those doors. Their face, their eyes, and their hair must match the description on their cards. If one thing doesn't match, send them away. Every employee beforehand was told to match the criteria for today in advance. Search every bag before it is brought in." Decha stopped in front of a particular blonde Agent, whose eyes were flickering to their right nervously.

"Am I clear?"

"Yes, N96!" The group roared in sync.

"Everything is to be reported to me. I want this building so protected that a fly won't even be able to get through those doors. Do you understand?"

"Yes, N96." The guards repeated once more. Decha nodded and waved the guards off.

"Great. Keep an eye out. No slacking. Not one person will come inside without me knowing about it. Let's get to work." Decha brushed by two Agents who stood in front of the entrance and walked inside the building.

He radioed Jax, who was on the 10th floor, which was halfway to the top of the building. His shoes clacked against the fancy tile as he sauntered across the main floor and toward the elevator.

"N9899, what's your visual on F10?" Decha spoke through his watch.

"All clear from this level. There are Agents stationed at every corner. The angle may be flawed, but we have someone on camera to keep them in check."

Decha relaxed his shoulders, content with that answer. He stepped into an open elevator and pressed the highest number displayed, which was the top floor where the Council Members were located.

When Decha arrived at the top of the building, Chauncey Alan approached him. Decha stepped off the elevator and Chauncey grabbed onto Decha's forearm, stopping him from going any further.

"What's the meaning of all this, N96?"

Decha snatched his arm out of Alan's grasp and narrowed his eyes. Then he examined the hall, observing every Agent that was stationed in front of each doorway. "You're talking about the Agents." It wasn't a question. Decha confirmed Chauncey's attitude was based on all the security.

"I don't understand you. Tell me honestly, is this a front you're putting up?"

"A front?" Decha scoffed.

"You prance around acting all high and mighty, saying that you're putting our laws ahead of everything. You SAY you want to protect Astell, but is that what you want?"

"What are you trying to get at?"

"I'm questioning your motive. The culprit has been caught, but your biased behavior towards Bracketer's is causing you to make poor decisions." Chauncey hissed and gestured at the Agents.

"Recruiting a fourth of the Agency to stand guard at our building for nothing isn't a laughing matter."

Decha felt anger surge within him, but he decided not to give in to Alan's words. "The investigation isn't over. I'm taking precautions to protect you and the other members. If you have an issue with that, you can take it up with the Director. Stay out of my way, and let me do my job." Decha brushed past Chauncey, walking in the direction of where Jax was assigned.