27

"What are you doing?" Decha snarled.

"Director Chen sent me to go with you."

"You were supposed to head back to the Agency. The last thing I need is you—"

"It's a command from the Director. I can't exactly say no." Jax shoved past Decha and into the shuttle. "If you keep glaring at me like that we'll never get there."

Decha mumbled a couple of swears as he shut the door. They remained quiet as the shuttle began to speed off. Decha was frustrated. There were too many emotions that he was holding back.

Decha hated failing. No. He feared it. Strout's death unfolded the fact that he wasn't ever going to be able to live up to his title.

As a general, you were supposed to protect and serve. Of course, death was going to happen to everyone at some point. But he tried his best to protect everyone at the event.

No one should've died. He was already blaming himself for Strouts last breath. If something happened to Rory, he wouldn't ever forgive himself. He'd be so guilt-ridden that only death would make him feel at ease.

Jax sensed Decha's anxiety. His face was stern as always, but he heard Decha's foot tapping impatiently. The sound was nonstop. There was nothing Jax could do or say to comfort him.

He'd never seen Decha act like this before. "N96, you—"

"I'm not in the right mind to talk, N9899." Decha stopped him and ran a hand through his hair. "This thing can't move any faster, can it?" They'd already been sitting for half an hour.

That was something he'd never thought Decha would do. Express his hidden worries. It wasn't until the Shuttle pulled to a sudden stop that Decha's actions surprised him even more. In seconds, Decha had opened the door and was in front of the gates.

"Out of my way!" Decha snarled as several Generals stationed out front tried to brief him. Jax followed closely behind as best as he could.

When the front doors opened, Decha saw Jessica standing there, wrapping her arm in a bandage. She barely turned around before Decha pulled her into a hug. "Decha! You—"

"What happened?" His venomous tone sent shivers down her spine. Jessica tapped his shoulder and pulled away to look at him. She noticed the black marks on his eye and cheeks and got a whiff of his scent. He smelled like smoke. Then she saw blood on his arms.

"Decha! You're hurt!" She grabbed his hand, but he snatched it away.

"That's not an issue." Decha stopped her. "What happened to you?"

"It's just a slight sprain. I'll be fine. I'm worried about you, Decha. Why do you look so...?" She grabbed him by his chin and turned it to get a closer look. He looked detached. As if he was on edge. As if he were ready to end an entire civilization with his bare hands. She reasoned something serious must have happened at the Program.

"Where's Rory?" Decha spat.

"She's in her room. But wait!" Decha had already begun pacing down the hall before Jessica could finish telling him Rory's location. "Decha! She may be undressed!" Jessica told Rory to take a bath and rest before the men came back home. She was hoping to explain the attack, but Decha wasn't giving her a chance. She'd never seen Decha this explosive.

The last part of her sentence didn't catch his ears. All he heard was Rory's location and was dead set on finding her.

"Decha!"

Decha barged into Rory's room before Jessica could reach him. Rory looked up from her desk, confused by the sudden intrusion.

He looked at the parts she was messing with on the table and balled his fists. He was angry that she wasn't sleeping because it was already past midnight. While he was worried about her safety, he felt she wasn't taking her health as seriously as she should.