¤ Chapter 1

"Please put it carefully. Thank you."

Nate watched the movers carry her wardrobe into the master bedroom. They lowered it carefully while she nodded, approving the placement.

"Ma'am, where do you want to put this table?" asked a mover who was carrying the dining table with other mover.

"Oh, please put it over there, sir." Nate followed them into the kitchen.

Nate tied her hair and let out a sigh. She didn't think moving would be as tiring as this, even though she was helped by movers. Luckily, the furniture she ordered arrived on time, so she just had to manage the furniture she brought from her parents' house.

After making sure all the furniture had been unloaded from the lorries, Nate thanked the movers and gave them a tip. After they left, she returned to the house.

"Have they left?" Mum asked as she came down the stairs with a mop in her hand. Nate nodded.

Nate and her mother were busy sorting out the boxes that were going to unpack with boxes that would be stored in the storeroom. Nate pulled out a small folding frame with pictures of her and Annie, her sister. They looked completely different since they were little. Annie always looks calm in a dress and a ribbon in her hair, while Nate likes to wear pinafore dress, and always puts on a silly face next to her sister.

Nate remembers being jealous of Annie most of the time because her sister, who was two years apart from her, always got more affection from their family. Annie also has more friends, to the point that Nate hung out with Annie's friends more than she did with her own. In fact, most of the guys Nate liked actually fell with Annie after they met her. Therefore, Nate never had a serious relationship with any guy, let alone bring him home to introduce him to her family.

"You put your photos with Annie? Won't Julian be upset?" Mum asked.

"He won't. He himself helped me pick these photos." Nate replied.

Nate turned her head when she heard a car pull up in the drive. Oh, they finally arrived. She rushed out to greet Tara and Will.

"Nate, dear, how are you?" said Tara while hugging Nate.

"I'm fine." Nate replied. "Is it just the two of you?"

"Yeah, your brother's busy with his final assignment."

"Sorry, we haven't finished everything yet." Nate said as she invited Tara and Will into the house.

"Where's Julian?" Will asked, looking around.

"He can't skip his job, so he still went to the office today," replied Nate. Then, Mum came out of the room, and greeted them.

Nate was busy with arranging the furniture again, helped by Tara and Will this time. They are Julian's parents—Nate's husband—who live in Newport, Wales, and came to visit on their moving day to their new house. Nate and Julian lived at her parents' house in Brighton for the past three years. Julian's career has been developing well, so they decided to move out.

Nate pulled her smartphone out of her bag and called Julian's number. He asked her to let him know when his parents arrived before he left for work this morning. However, he never answered her calls.

"He might be busy," said Mum who saw Nate kept fidgeting with her phone.

Nate put her phone away and continued to clean up. It was early evening that Tara's phone rang. She immediately answered her phone in the guest room.

"Yes, honey. Mam at your house already. What time will you be home?"

Nate continued to seal a box with duct tape, not interested in hearing any further from their conversation. Then Tara came out of the guest room and handed her the phone.