¤ Chapter 29

Nate looked in the mirror once again to make sure she looked okay. Her face was no longer pale even though her eye bags were clearly visible due to lack of sleep and crying every night. Hopefully there won't be any rumors about her because she didn't show up at the workplace for seven days.

Nate came out of the room carrying her bag. She was about to say goodbye to Julian, but he was not seen in the living room or kitchen. Where was he?

"...I can't go there yet."

Nate's steps stopped when she heard Julian's voice from the porch. It sounded like he was talking on the phone.

"Yes, we just lost our baby. So, I still have to keep my wife's company until she recovers," Julian continued, leaving Nate stunned where she stood. "Very well, I'll let you know later. Thank you for your understanding."

As soon as Julian ended the call, Nate approached him as if she hadn't heard anything.

"Are we leaving now?" Julian asked while putting his phone in his trouser pocket. "I have something to take care of, so I'll also drive you to your office."

Nate kept glanced at Julian who was driving, feeling guilty. He had told her about his plans to go to Stockholm some time ago, but he had not yet gone because of her. Nate could be sure she wouldn't go with him because he never asked or invited her to come along.

"You can go if you want," said Nate, finally. Julian glanced at her.

"Where to?" Julian asked.

"Stockholm." Nate replied. "Sorry, I heard your conversation earlier. You've been postponing your move to Stockholm for too long. You can go, I'm fine here. Your work is more important, I don't want you to be stuck here because of me."

Julian didn't reply. Nate thought back to what she had just said to Julian. She wasn't sure she was saying the right thing. On top of that, she was doubtful if she was willing Julian to leave without her.

They didn't talk to each other until they arrived at the workplace. Julian even immediately drove away after Nate got out of his car. Of course, what did Nate expect? A kiss and "have a good day" as usual?

Nate went to her office and turned on the computer to check the work she had left. She felt bad for Penny after seeing so many requests for price lists and orders in her email. Nate went to the marketer's office to meet Penny. She was enjoying a cup of coffee at her desk with Layla. Both of them turned when they saw Nate from a distance.

"Nate! You finally came!"

Nate smiled at Penny who was rushing towards her with Layla. "Sorry, I left you with a lot of work."

"Who cares about that? I'm pro enough to work on a project alone." Penny replied.

"So you don't consider my help?" Layla protested.

"That's your project. Of course you have to help," said Penny. "Oh right, Nate. We're sorry to hear about your baby."

Nate looked at Penny and Layla in confusion. "How did you..."

"I called you back then because you didn't come to work. I wanted to make sure you were okay after you almost passed out when we went on a visit to my client. Then, your sister answered my call, and she told me that you were hospitalized because you lost your baby." Layla explained. "We really wanted to pay you a visit, but your sister rejected us. She said you should have a rest."

"You can rest longer if necessary. I think the company will also understand your situation," said Penny.

"It's okay. I feel better now," replied Nate.